Kawasaki ZX11 Redline 10W-40 1610 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same oil as in my other post with 805 miles, but this sample has 1610 miles.
code:

Oil Redline 10W-40

Miles on oil 1610

Time on Oil ~26 days

Iron 12

Chromium 0

Lead 0

Copper 20

Tin 6

Aluminum 21

Nickel 0

Silver 0

Silicon 10

Boron 34

Sodium 12

Magnesium 45

Calcium 3080

Barium 0

Phosphorus 1089

Zinc 1423

Moly 704

Titanium 0

Vanadium 0

Potassium 0

Fuel
Water 0

Coolant NEG

Visc@100C 12.59

TBN 8.04

Redline was able to do for 1600 miles what no other oil I have tried can do for half that; hold it's viscocity. Now, I don't really care what the viscocity is as long as it protects. These two sample show higher Aluminum and Copper than most of my reports. I have changed out this oil and I am running fresh Redline, which I will sample at comparable intervals. I want to see if my reports are showing the famous "Redline cleaning", or if wear is really elevated. If wear numbers come down, then I may have found the right oil for me.

Great winning combination here, '1370.

You can go longer -- 3,000 miles wouldn't be out of the question -- and get your money's worth out of this oil.

I'm sure there is some scavenging going on. Your wear numbers will continue to improve as more miles accumulate.

How many miles on this engine, btw?

and what do you do if wear numbers do NOT come down???
grin.gif

hmmmm, seems i already asked this question.
wink.gif

on this exact situation.

here is a question for everyone:

HOLY FLUCTUATING MEASUREMENTS, BATMAN how did TIN go down from 7 to a 6 on the same oil but with twice as many miles?
silicon, boron, sodium and magnesium as well?
oh and just for fun, HOW did moly go UP?

It looks like the tin stabilized, and the 6 vs 7 ppm is well within the error factor of a good spectrometer and reader. The same goes for the moly, not really a huge difference...

But the Aluminum, Iron, and Copper are still rising.

A UOA of the fresh oil, with at least 1500 miles on it, will be very interesting indeed.

Dan

sunruh, you already know what I'll do.
grin.gif

It is always funny to see things like wear metals go down, and additives go up, but I think ftm is exactly right, probably well within the margin of error for the equipent used to test the oil.
Islavista, this bike just turned 40000 miles. I thought I was stuck doing 2000 mile changes, but it does look like Redline could go longer. I'll probably sample my new batch at 800, 1600, and 2400, see what happens.
FTM, iron is probably within normal range for my bike, but you're right, aluminum and copper are high. Copper could easily be from my oil cooler, we know how Redline likes soft metals. Aluminum is weird though, and ideas from anyone? Clutch related sunruh?

quote:

Originally posted by nicrfe1370:
Aluminum is weird though, and ideas from anyone? Clutch related sunruh?

and

five 1/4 mile runs on a dyno, a couple of fun but very hooligan-like high speed runs on the highway, and some general abuse.

B-I-N-G-O
about all i need to say, really.
grin.gif

Look at the outer basket of your clutch the starter tensioner can over travel and hit the basket . Check zrx forum there is a fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back