Kawasaki Vulcan 500 vs. Suzuki S50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I'm still enjoying my GZ250, I think that by next Spring I may be ready to move up to something slightly more powerful with more highway passing capability, but still not too big. I'm 5'7" and weigh 150 lbs, so I want to stick with something that has a low seat and is not too heavy, cruiser or standard, and easy to do maintenance on.

Current contenders are Vulcan 500 LTD and Boulevard S50. I'd buy them slightly used.

Any thoughts or comments about either one of these?

Obviously I will need to try and ride both to see what I prefer better, but assuming both fit me well, which one would you choose and why?

I would probably pick the Vulcan 500. It has much of the running gear of the Ninja 500R and is probably a better perform and I'm more familar with it. I think Vulcans are more common and more affordable. I don't know much about the S50 and it looks interesting so I could be wrong.

or...you can get a Kawasaki ZX-10R like me and uh...

never have any more problems with highway passing ever again. hahaha even in top gear I guarantee you will never ever have a want for more power. You can find a 1st generation for ~4500 bucks. And it will feel smaller than many 600 cc bikes of today.

But then again...that thing about comfort...yep! nonexistent in the ZX-10R! hahaha

The Vulcan/EX motor is pretty reliable and has been around for literally decades, but I'm not sure I'd buy another parallel twin 4 cycle. It's not very smooth, there's no way for a parallel twin to be smooth, and all the power (at least in ex500 trim) is pretty high up. It really doesn't get going until 7 grand. That's not a good touring bike torque profile.

It would probably come down to what I could get used, and the condition of what I saw.

Both bikes are pretty bullet proof. I like the Zook better but that is my opinion.

I think a better choice for you would be a HD Sportster, they are low to teh ground and easy to manuver. You can buy them used for cheap, have it for a few years and almost get all your money back when you sell it. Also the new Honda Shadow is a cool looking bike and is pretty cheap.

What do you plan on doing? Commuting, cruising, touring, day trips?

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter

What do you plan on doing? Commuting, cruising, touring, day trips?

A bit of everything, but mostly just staying on local roads, within 2 hours of home.

Anything would fit the bill for that.

A fanstatic bike would be a used Suzuki SV650! Great bike!

Have you looked at a Triumph Bonneville?

Why settle for a 500 Vulcan? I have a buddy who owns a 900 Vulcan and he's barely 5'5" with a very short inseam. He has no trouble managing it. You could probably get yourself an used 800 Vulcan or 900 Vulcan for a price close to the 500.

I've ridden the 900 Vulcan and it's a pretty sweet handling bike. Lots of torque and plenty of power for riding two up. If you think you're ready for a 500, then you're more than likely capable of handling one of the larger Vulcans.

Choosing between a Suzuki and Kawasaki is a tough choice. I've owned both brands of bikes and they've all been excellent machines.

As per one of the previous comments, shop around for the best deal in the size/style bike you're after. Let the money make the decision for you.

If you do any highway riding at all, a 750 is the way to go.
Shadow by Honda, Vulcan by Kawasaki, etc...
Some years are lower than others. If you don't mind the extended leg riding position, that group is the way to go.
If you do try Harley Spoartster, 2005 (IIRC) is the fist year with the rubber mounted engine.
Fewer parts fall off the newer ones.
48.gif

That Kawasaki Parallel twin is a nice motor! It's been around forever. I had a Ninja 650 parallel twin and it was VERY smooth. When you're cruising, you don't need too much power, and the 500cc is adequate, when you're merging and passing, just roll it back and hold a gear and you've got plenty of power. I would definately do the 500 Vulcan. Lots of folks today forget that perfect is the enemy of plenty good enough...

I have owned a Suzuki VS800 (same as an S50) and just a few points:

· Plenty of power for around town driving makes about 50 horse at the rear wheel.
· Relatively smooth until you get above 60 mph.
· Shaft drive, the Kawasaki has chain.
· Small tank, would hit reserve at 125 miles.
· Fairly easy to work on.

I would take the Suzuki, or better yet find a clean used Honda VT1100. Have had the Suzuki out on the highway a number of tines and it did fine, not as a good as my 1800 Goldwing but better than my Suzuki Savage (a real mans motorcycle). Just my two cents worth.

There are so many nice motorcycles out there that would fit your needs.

That Kawasaki Vulcan 500 makes about the same horsepower as the Honda Shadow 750 and is a bit lighter and easier to handle. Both been around for a few years and has a proven track record. However, the resale on used Honda Shadows is usually quite high.

The Suzuki S50 is a larger and more powerful bike than either of the two, above. They are popular and appear to be very reliable.

Do yourself a favor and go sit on one of the new Kawasaki 900cc cruisers. They're surprisingly light on the top end and make good horsepower.

A Sportster is heavy and top heavy as compared to these other bikes. I've owned five Sportsters and I really favor them but still, I believe that they are much more top heavy that the other bikes we're discussion here.

If price point is key - then you would do well with a nice used Kaw 500 Vulcan.... or an S50.

Good luck on your selection.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kballowe
The Suzuki S50 is a larger and more powerful bike than either of the two, above.

Thanks, although according to specs, both the S50 and Vulcan 500 weigh practically the same. Dimensions seem very close as well. It's actually Vulcan 500 that has a slightly larger wheel base and length.

Suzuki must have to detune the S50 engine to get 50hp. The SV650 makes 70hp, albeit at higher revs.

And why do manufacturers put air-cooling fins on a watercooled engine? Does it help with the cooling?

Nope. Strictly for cosmetic purposes to simulate the "air cooled" look of the bike they're trying to emulate.

Personally, I don't like the faux cooling fins.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The Suzuki S50 is a larger and more powerful bike than either of the two, above.

Thanks, although according to specs, both the S50 and Vulcan 500 weigh practically the same. Dimensions seem very close as well. It's actually Vulcan 500 that has a slightly larger wheel base and length.

Hmmmm - but when you sit on them - the S50 just feels larger. Does that make sense?

Hmmmm - but when you sit on them - the S50 just feels larger. Does that make sense?

Sure... it's all about the distances to handle bars, foot pedals, etc. I'm sure I'll notice it when I sit on both of them. Thanks for the heads-up.

Well I would say the Vulcan 500 since it gets better fuel mileage and has all the power you need to ride. Now if you are doubling up then a larger engine would be beneficial.

I would probably get a Yamaha V Star 650 Custom over the Suzuki S50 though. They are nice bikes, shaft drive, and there are tons of aftermarket accessories for them.

Or you could find a nice used 883 sportster as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back