Kawasaki v twin blew fuel out muffler on startup

FR730V on zero turn Gravely. About 100 hours on it, never any issues. Was mowing till it started to rain a little, put it up for a few hours, and when I went to restart it she spun over but didn't catch so I added some choke, not a lot, and maybe a cup or two of raw gas shot out the muffler! I know the choke on this thing is very sensitive but dang...Then it fired up and ran fine. I'm glad it didn't hydrolock. The fuel has to come up from under the seat, then up to the filter, then up to the fuel pump. And I can't remember if I filled it up right before the first mowing or the second time out, but I did fill it all the way to the top which would be above the carb. That's the only explanation I can come up with.....Anyone seen this happen?

That's about the only thing that will cause it. If the level in the tank is higher than the carb, it will keep flowing through a bad needle without needing the fuel pump to run. Raw gas goes into the intake and eventually comes out the exhaust. Also if it is real bad, it can gradually flood out running at idle.

Could be related to ethanol in the fuel too. My JD GT235 garden tractor had all sorts of problems with E-10. I ended up replacing everything in the fuel system, including the seals on the fuel tank, all the lines, the fuel pump and rebuilt the carb. The manual clearly stated that ethanol in fuel was OK to use. Surrrrre it was...

It took a long time to sort all of that out. Pulling the body off, and the tank, etc. I use E-0 now.

Could be related to ethanol in the fuel too. My JD GT235 garden tractor had all sorts of problems with E-10. I ended up replacing everything in the fuel system, including the seals on the fuel tank, all the lines, the fuel pump and rebuilt the carb. The manual clearly stated that ethanol in fuel was OK to use. Surrrrre it was...

It took a long time to sort all of that out. Pulling the body off, and the tank, etc. I use E-0 now.

And our current President just signed an EO that allows the sale of E15 (vs. the current E10) so everything may get a bigger dose of ethanol if your local station starts pumping it, unless you avoid it.

Several automakers and OPE makers have stated that their products will have issues with E15.

Back