Kawasaki Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking of posting this in the photos section but I thought it would be better off here.

My 40 YO +/- nephew is now a college professor PhD and races motorcycles for a hobby.
I think he's quite the dude and I'm proud of him.
cool.gif

He sent this to me recently :

Hi Joe, the bike I'm racing now is a 998cc Kawasaki (2006 ZX10R), and has never been on a 1/4 mile track, it's set up for standing-mile events. It gets off the line slowly, but accelerates through the whole mile, where the final speed is measured across the last 132 feet.
It takes about 30 seconds, and gets up to 210-230 mph, depending on how it's configured. It has been fitted with a turbocharger, and makes between 300 and 350hp. It's a handful! I have also gone out to the Bonneville Salt Flats a couple times, and run on flying mile tracks, where your speed is averaged over an entire mile. The speeds end up to be about the same.

Maxton_ZX10.jpg

hmm, didn't know it took double the horsepower ( 180 to 250) just to get and additional 30-50 mph.

But I guess once you're up that high in speed it takes big gains for small improvements.

Impressive, I didn't know mere mortals could use the salt flats. I thought it was always for big teams doing big feats. I've never read of anyone doing what your nephew does. Its usually 1/8-1/4 miles or road circuits or, bleh, stunting in public.

That bike has about 3x more HP than any bike I've ever owned.
I'll bet 300-350 HP in a car would be a handful, let alone a motorcycle.
smile.gif

I'd never have the guts to do what he's doing, but he loves it. Some people enjoy scary stuff. I don't even dare to ride a roller coaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back