Kawasaki KFX450R Elf Protech 5w40 2 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy and my daughter both race a '09 KFX450R quad in a local XC series. At the last race, they both ran the same amount of practice and raced on the track at the same time. So we figured it would be interesting to take oil samples and compare. I was running Elf Pro-Tech 5w40 and he ran Amsoil 20w50 motorcycle oil. He doesn't have his results back yet; these are from my quad:

Terrible, I know. The engine has been raced it's entire life, 77 hrs, and may be showing that it's time for a complete rebuild.

I'll post up my buddies results when he gets them back. In the interest of full disclosure, he hasn't mailed them yet.
frown.gif

2 hrs on race oil is a completely normal, and if youve been doing this all 77 hours it seems you may need some "Harder" hard parts
20.gif

Last edited:
Oops, the engine hours should read 97.

Stock engine inside, showing it's age. I put Amsoil 10w40 moto oil in this time, we have a race this weekend, I'll sample again with a known good oil and see if it's just the Elf oil.

yes iron is up
copper may or may not be up
no race fuel this time i see
water in the oil sample? did you sweat into after you took it or what?

honestly not that bad at all, but will really like to see your buddies from the same exact time.

steve

This evening I recollected the events of the quad service(she did most of it). She washed the quad, took it for a lap around the block to warm it up just a little, then brought it in the shop and changed the oil; she changed the oil and took the sample. It is conceivable that water dripped off the skid plate or frame and into the sample bottle. This may explain the water.

Yeah, you noticed the lead huh? Went back to 93 octane pump gas, no justification for the high-dollar gas in this quad.

Your the perfect scenario for running 15 w40 desiels, your wallet is going to luv ya too. If going to run expensive oil, you need longevity out of it to justify the cost.IMO

obviously the 5w40, doesnt meet the gate on price or time

Yes, I know you are correct, and I have ran HDEOs in the past and just didn't like the clutch feel and notchy shifting. Granted it wasn't in any of my current fleet of quads so I may try it again in the future. But I do have a significant stash of Elf oil at the moment. I stocked up recently after Elf changed their formulas and the older stuff go sold on clearance by many places.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
Your the perfect scenario for running 15 w40 desiels, your wallet is going to luv ya too. If going to run expensive oil, you need longevity out of it to justify the cost.IMO

obviously the 5w40, doesnt meet the gate on price or time

I can understand the shifting issue, while Rotella 15w40 seems popular, personnally I hate the stuff in a transmission, Delo and Motorcraft also have 15w40, including mobil. You might also try some straight 40 weights.

Its just in a race bike, where the oil has to be dumped in a couple hours, High dollar oil is a wallet killer.

On a side note, many years ago, I rode on alot of rocky areas, using 10w40, the transimmision had alot of noise from all the banging on roacky terrain, straight 40 weight, really quiten the whole tranny, I was pretty impressed what differnce that made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back