Kawasaki FX651v 22hp oil recommendation change

I'm new on here so.. I just bought a Hustler Xonei with a Kawasaki FX651v 22hp engine in it. When talking to my dealer he said that Kawasaki or Hustler is now recommending 20w50 now instead of the regular 10w30 or sae30 recommended previously. He said that by changing to 20w50 the oil consumption issue would be resolved. I have a Hustler Raptor with a FR691v in it and have noticed it does actually consume a little oil. It doesn't smoke or anything but it seems to blow alot of smoke when I start it after sitting awile. I have used Mobil 1 full synthetic 10w30 from the original oil change in my Raptor. Anyway, The question is do I break in my mower with 20w50 Mobil 1 motor cycle oil or 10w30 Full Synthetic?

I would go to the manufactures site or call them to get the latest recommendation. I haven't read any mower engine of that size recommending a 20w50 as the preferred viscosity. Not sure the dealer has the correct manufactures information. ed

Last edited:
WhOSDXD.png

http://www.kawasakienginesusa.com/sites/...V_English_1.pdf

Originally Posted By: 4certain
The question is do I break in my mower with 20w50 Mobil 1 motor cycle oil or 10w30 Full Synthetic?

Neither. If you're intent on running Mobil 1, their Racing 4T 10w-40 would be appropriate.

Some 10w40 would be my choice. or if I ran it in the cold it would be 0w40.

edit: didn't see what the kawi was on. lawn tractor so 10w40 would be my choice with your machine. You should like that mower. Looks very nice.

Last edited:
I used Mobil1 10w30 when I bought my JD LX with the Kawi v and it always smoked on start up. I changed to a straight 30w and it stopped smoking on startup. I've used the 30 wt for 15 years with no problems. I do live in a mild climate and it is stored indoors.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm going to use 10w40 full synthetic. It gets really hot here in Alabama and I think the 40 weight oil would be better.
grin.gif

I have a Kawasaki FR730v engine, now a little over 50 hours. The first oil change I did was actually 5w30 full synthetic. At around 40 hours on the oil, I have no smoking issues either and no consumption. Usually when it comes to full synthetic, there usually isn't much a difference between 5w30 and 10w30. Briggs and Stratton have now recognized the use of 5w30 synthetic oil, so I don't know why it wouldn't work in a Kawasaki. A 0w40 or 5w40 full synthetic looks like a good choice, since those are you common viscosity choices of full synthetic oils in your 40 weight class. And you would have benefits for cold starting over straight 40 and use it in place of a straight 40 weight that they recommend with temp. above 104 degrees.

Last edited:
I would use a HDEO like Rotella T6 5w40 or Rotella T 15w40 for that Kawasaki. The 20w50 I would only use if you have really significant oil consumption.

Yep Shell Rotella T6 would work good. 20w-50 seems way to thick to be running in it. Just find what the manufacture recommends in the service manual or operator's manual.

I am actually looking at buying a Hustler mower this weekend. I remember vaguely the dealer talking about using 20W-50 synthetic as the oil that goes in the hydraulic units. Thing is I wasn't really paying attention to that so maybe I misremembered. Anyway I remember it sounded odd but figured I had two years to check on that.

I have a similar (smaller V-twin) Kawasaki engine in my John Deere GT235 garden tractor. It's 10 years old, and I've run Mobil 1, TDT (turbo diesel truck) 5W-40 in it from the first oil change. It uses no oil, does not smoke and I torture the living daylights out of this thing. I performed a couple of UOA's (used oil analysis) on it, and they came out absolutely perfect. Rotella T-6 is a very similar oil too.

Both choices are very robust oils.

Either the dealer misspoke or you heard him wrong.

Kawasaki has never recommended 20W50 oil for their engines.

20W50 IS a common oil for mower hydraulic units (as is 15W50).

Here's info from your X One owners manual regarding HYDRAULIC Fluid: "Use only SAE 20W50 SL/SM service motor oil for the Hustler X-ONE. Use only 15W50 Mobil One oil for the Super Z."

http://www.poweruplawncare.com.au/hustler/downloads/xone_om.pdf

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Either the dealer misspoke or you heard him wrong.

Kawasaki has never recommended 20W50 oil for their engines.

20W50 IS a common oil for mower hydraulic units (as is 15W50).

Here's info from your X One owners manual regarding HYDRAULIC Fluid: "Use only SAE 20W50 SL/SM service motor oil for the Hustler X-ONE. Use only 15W50 Mobil One oil for the Super Z."

http://www.poweruplawncare.com.au/hustler/downloads/xone_om.pdf

I've actually heard of many dealers recommending the 20w50 for the newer Kawasaki engines. Some of them have oil consumption problems and the "solution" the dealer recommends (to avoid replacing engines under warranty) is to use 20w50. 20w50 is too thick in my opinion and I would use a HDEO like Rotella 5w40 or 15w40 if the OP lives in a hotter climate.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
As I suspected. Dealers often have personal opinions that are NOT in line with the manufactures recommendations. Ed

i agree. when we bought our honda em 6500 generator, the guy tod me to use 10W30 mineral oil only??

Originally Posted By: Eddie
As I suspected. Dealers often have personal opinions that are NOT in line with the manufactures recommendations. Ed

Unfortunately, yes, this is true. As a dealer myself, I see it as my responsibility to properly represent the manufacturer to the customer. I always use manufacturers' recommendations to pass along to my customers. Manufacturers have a lot to teach us dealers if we're not too proud and bull-headed to listen. But some people feel much better about themselves if they can have "opinions of their own," regardless of what the manufacturer says. I've found that passing along manufacturer recommendations to customers makes me look pretty good anyway, so I don't have to have my own personal angle. Besides, if there happens to be any problem during the warranty period, my customers won't suffer from lack of warranty coverage due to following bonehead dealer's recommended warranty-voiding maintenance practices.

Thanks for all the info. I think after all the replies I'm going with the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w40 motor cycle oil. It seems to be a close enough fit to stay within the manufacturers recommmendation and also handle an air cooled engine. I am going to use the mower for my small mowing business so it will be punished with all day use a few times a week. I'm going to also change it every 50 hours because of that.

Back