Kawasaki fr651v

Acts like it's running out of fuel. I replaced the fuel pump and filter. Problem persists. Next step is to get the fuel bowl off, but I need a thin wrench set. Engine runs wide open for a bit then stalls like it's out of fuel. Sometimes I can keep it running by shutting off the blades and closing the throttle to idle.

I need to see if the needle seat is clear and if the float is free.
IMG_20211002_141820495.jpg

Can you grind down a sacrificial wrench on a bench grinder? I did that to a 15MM Craftsman combination wrench to make a bicycle pedal wrench.

Often theyre not actually on there very tight so you can just grab the bowl and twist it loose. That bottom little plug is a fuel shutoff solenoid needle that shuts off fuel flow when the ignition is switched off to prevent backfires. Mine started acting up intermittently and made me think I was having a fuel pump issue so I replaced the pump and filter with no improvement. I spent days fussing around trying to figure out what exactly was wrong before realizing that I could just snip the end off the needle and disable that solenoid. Never an issue since. No backfires either.

Often theyre not actually on there very tight so you can just grab the bowl and twist it loose. That bottom little plug is a fuel shutoff solenoid needle that shuts off fuel flow when the ignition is switched off to prevent backfires. Mine started acting up intermittently and made me think I was having a fuel pump issue so I replaced the pump and filter with no improvement. I spent days fussing around trying to figure out what exactly was wrong before realizing that I could just snip the end off the needle and disable that solenoid. Never an issue since. No backfires either.
Yes i am suspecting that solenoid. Thats why i want to get the bowl off. I will try twisting it. I found some wrenches to be here tomorrow.

Before you do anything else, take the gas cap off and blow it with compressed air. I had an issue with a Kawasaki engine like this where it would run for 15 minutes and conk out.

Before you do anything else, take the gas cap off and blow it with compressed air. I had an issue with a Kawasaki engine like this where it would run for 15 minutes and conk out.
I did try that lol. No change.

This is on a Toro ss50 zero turn mower.

I took the fuel bowl off , and it was clean. The solenoid worked and was holding over time.

I decided to dump the fuel tank, before removing the carb.

Then realization hit me.

I think i found the problem, and it was me. A week ago, I used a can of fuel from about February. It was fuel stored for generator use. It was winter blend, that I was cycling through due to age. The fuel looked fine, no water, was stored in a red Just-rite type 1 safety can. The mower ran fine cold and when hot would lose power and act like it was out of fuel.

It seems the winter fuel was vapor locking. I took the covers off and took the tank off the mower and dumped it. Put in current fuel from a recent purchase, and the mower runs fine.

Lesson learned. I've had chainsaws run poor on winter fuel used in summer, but never a 4 cycle, till now.

Back