Kawasaki dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for the opinion of someone who's used this oil. Good stuff? My local Kawi dealer has it for 5 bucks a quart and the synthetic for 10 bucks a quart.

I highly doubt any Kaw dino fluid is better than a good quality HDEO at any cost. When you can find Delvac for $8 with rebate, PER GALLON, why pay $5/qrt for a realitive unknown dino fluid that is probably marginal in design and manufacture. The same can be said for the synthetic options, comparitively.

Want to really know how good it may or may not be? Buy some, and do both a VOA and UOA. If you don't want to go to that extreme, well, then review all the HDEO UOAs in bikes and then make your decision.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I highly doubt any Kaw dino fluid is better than a good quality HDEO at any cost. When you can find Delvac for $8 with rebate, PER GALLON, why pay $5/qrt for a realitive unknown dino fluid that is probably marginal in design and manufacture. The same can be said for the synthetic options, comparitively.

Want to really know how good it may or may not be? Buy some, and do both a VOA and UOA. If you don't want to go to that extreme, well, then review all the HDEO UOAs in bikes and then make your decision.
I've heard Kawasaki's oils are made by motul. I have no experience with motul so I'm indifferent.

I'm currently using Delvac and I'm having the same problem I did with Rotella. Bike is consuming lots of oil with it, although not as bad as the Rotella. I checked my sight glass after 3 days of hard riding last night and it was almost empty. Not good.

From what I can gather about MC oils, people prefer them due to their lack of friction modifiers, which have been storied to cause certain bikes' clutches to slip. Other people claim that MC syns are more robust than car syns. I don't know how much of that I believe.

I've used Mobil 1 15W-50, and currently have Castrol Syntec 10W-40 in my bike, and I've noticed no difference than when I was paying $14 per quart for Mobil 1 Racing 4T.

The only change I have noticed in nearly a year is when I put Valvoline MC oil in it, which seemed to cause labored shifting. Normally I don't get excited about small differences, but I was literally having to kick the shifter to downshift. Not so with the Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
From what I can gather about MC oils, people prefer them due to their lack of friction modifiers, which have been storied to cause certain bikes' clutches to slip. Other people claim that MC syns are more robust than car syns. I don't know how much of that I believe.

I've used Mobil 1 15W-50, and currently have Castrol Syntec 10W-40 in my bike, and I've noticed no difference than when I was paying $14 per quart for Mobil 1 Racing 4T.

The only change I have noticed in nearly a year is when I put Valvoline MC oil in it, which seemed to cause labored shifting. Normally I don't get excited about small differences, but I was literally having to kick the shifter to downshift. Not so with the Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec.
I had clutch slippage with Mobil 15w-50. I changed it out to a motorcycle specific oil and changed the springs and it cured it. I've been thinking about giving Castrol a try but aren't their oils really low on zinc?

If your bike is using that much oil, I doubt that changing to any brand, viscosity, dino or synthetic will help your situation. Your engine very likely needs work. What bike/engine? How many miles and what kind of treatment has it had over the years?

I've flogged many an old four stroke air cooled engine over the years but made sure they always had good oil and regular oil changes. Never had an oil consumption problem in anything I've owned from new.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
If your bike is using that much oil, I doubt that changing to any brand, viscosity, dino or synthetic will help your situation. Your engine very likely needs work. What bike/engine? How many miles and what kind of treatment has it had over the years?

I've flogged many an old four stroke air cooled engine over the years but made sure they always had good oil and regular oil changes. Never had an oil consumption problem in anything I've owned from new.
That's funny because I haven't had to add oil when I've used Mobil 1 4xt, Belray, or Mobil 1 car oil(mix of it and Valvoline Motorcycle). I've only had consumption issues with dino HDEO's.

Really does not matter who makes the oil for Kaw, because it's probably made to spec's that Kaw wants; which is also a moderate oil at a premium price, for good proffit margin.

If you really want the pure answers, like I said, don't ask us; tell us. Do some VOA and UOA tests.

Otherwise, I'm "advising" you that dino HDEO is the best (almost kept) secret that bikers have.

UOA results typically show wear, insolubles, etc on a near-par when comparing dino HDEOs, and $$$ high-end motorcycle specific PAOs. You might get a slight bit better "protection" (if it's at all tangible) with a MC PAO, but is it 4x or 5x "better" for the cost? Are the wear metals 4x or 5x lower? The answer is no, not even close.

The new CJ-4 RTS is a nice mid-price option. It's not techically JASO approved, but it would qualify if they sought the approval, because the ash content is now down low enough to pass. Same can be said for some of the other new CJ-4 HDEOs.

Last edited:
i've tested the kaw 20w50.
my local guy bought a 55gal drum of it.

it was out of grade in 2.6 hours.

its not worth the time to open your wallet to buy it.

Originally Posted By: brian12

That's funny because I haven't had to add oil when I've used Mobil 1 4xt, Belray, or Mobil 1 car oil(mix of it and Valvoline Motorcycle). I've only had consumption issues with dino HDEO's.

I think you answered your own question here. I'd stick with the Mobil1 4xt

Kawasaki sells 2 different kinds of synthetic oil, and they specifically state that one is Group III synthetic and the other is Group V synthetic made by Motul. If you don't believe me, check their website, 'cause I didn't believe it either until I checked.

http://www.kawasaki.com/KawasakiNew/Acce...0&CategoryId=49

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZGRider

Kawasaki sells 2 different kinds of synthetic oil, and they specifically state that one is Group III synthetic and the other is Group V synthetic made by Motul. If you don't believe me, check their website, 'cause I didn't believe it either until I checked.

http://www.kawasaki.com/KawasakiNew/Acce...0&CategoryId=49
That is awesome. I wish all companies were that honest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back