Katrina/First BITOG posts 6th anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Six years out things are much better but not the same. The memories detailed in my first post here ring even more true today after subsequent close calls with other near tropical cyclone misses. All trees within reach of the house or power lines are gone pecans. By design. Same generator, probably needs replacement. Could stand a few more cases of water and most of the canned goods are out of date. I did ditch the shelter based MRE's. Note to self, peak of season still 10 days away. Much less tolerant of the heat now, evacuation plans now include bugging out.

I'm glad Irene was less than expected. No altruism, Allstate would just use it as an excuse to raise my premiums.

No longer have the Sentra or the 98 Protege. The 92 D21 is still a functional work in progress. Will never give it up. "I love my truck, it's right outside, ain't got much luck, but I still got a ride."

One more aside. My son got the 96 D21. It blew a coolant hose on the side of some forsaken Atlanta entrance ramp last week. He called me for advice. Get a tow. He ignored father's sound advice for another mile or two after refilling coolant reservoir. Still overheating. Finally, a belated tow and a hose replacement ($200) and all is good. Dang I like those mid 90's Nissan pickups. Almost bulletproof.

Anyway, thanks, BITOG.

It was interesting.

I had a ten year old saturn that I did a piston ring job in. A gas station within walking distance of me was stuck at $2.609 when everyone else was jumping up to $2.899 or so. There was a line about a dozen cars long! That car had no plates, no insurance, but I drove it over and filled the tank. The next day they fixed the pump, and it read $3.609! The line was gone! A dollar up in a day!!! Peak price was $3.29 everywhere else.

Don't forget Mobil 1 had a vacation from API specs due to unavailable additives, it was legal to run red diesel fuel if you filled out some tax form, and EPA allowed "any" RVP a few weeks early to help refineries get another 10% of gasoline to market.

Originally Posted By: 9296D21B14
Dang I like those mid 90's Nissan pickups. Almost bulletproof.

Me too. I had a '95 D21 with the KA24E. What a good little truck. My favorite years are the '96 and '97, with the nicer center console in the bucket seat trucks. Mine had a 5-speed and 4WD, and it all worked. Sold it to my brother to slowly let it go (A/C out, backed it into something), and he finally sold it off for $1,500. Sad really. I'd like to have another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back