Kasa Smart Plug With Energy Monitoring $13 Amazon

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
For those who care, this is the plug I’ve been using. It’s coincidentally on sale for $13 today. I bought three more. There are other options, but this and the all have been very reliable.

Kasa Smart Plug

Edit: the link function isn’t working. The below works

Limited-time deal: Kasa Smart Plug Mini with Energy Monitoring, Smart Home Wi-Fi Outlet Works with Alexa, Google Home & IFTTT, Wi-Fi Simple Setup, No Hub Required (KP115), White – A Certified for Humans Device https://a.co/d/4P0H5x7

Mods, I apologize if I‘m doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Not to hijack your thread but you can replace the whole outlet for not much more & get 2 plugs instead of just one & without the bulk. I've installed 2 of these outlets at my house. I will warn you that if you place them outside I've gotten a "High Heat" warning on the app before once in a while on a hot summer day.

Kasa Outlet

Not to hijack your thread but you can replace the whole outlet for not much more & get 2 plugs instead of just one & without the bulk.
We've got a few of the sames ones gathermewool posted, less the "energy monitoring" feature and went with the "bulk"y version (HS103) for one simple reason: portability or mobility. I think all of ours are used with lamps and it's a lot easier if we rearrange furniture and the lamps get moved. We also use them for the Christmas tree and outside lights vs having to remember to turn them off. We also have about (10) smart switches (built-in).

We've got a few of the sames ones gathermewool posted, less the "energy monitoring" feature and went with the "bulk"y version (HS103) for one simple reason: portability or mobility. I think all of ours are used with lamps and it's a lot easier if we rearrange furniture and the lamps get moved. We also use them for the Christmas tree and outside lights vs having to remember to turn them off. We also have about (10) smart switches (built-in).
Very understandable. Portability convenience is nice to have.

I've got a few of these set up around my house for various things. Mostly stuff I don't want to be crawling around to turn on and off. Like the waterline heater.

Not to hijack your thread but you can replace the whole outlet for not much more & get 2 plugs instead of just one & without the bulk. I've installed 2 of these outlets at my house. I will warn you that if you place them outside I've gotten a "High Heat" warning on the app before once in a while on a hot summer day.

Kasa Outlet

Thanks for that!

I have considered smart outlets, but plugs are easier to replace. This one, compared to the original GIANT Kasa plugs I have, is a pretty big upgrade I’m terms of size and energy monitoring.

I have some HS100s that work just fine. One is used every single day for automated living room corner light. On at dusk and off at dawn. I use the other one for the Christmas tree or window AC units. It’s great turning on the AC unit easily an hour before we’re home after a weekend away.

I've got a few of these set up around my house for various things. Mostly stuff I don't want to be crawling around to turn on and off. Like the waterline heater.

I‘ve used smart plugs in conjunction with remote temp sensors (Smart Things) to turn on a space heater in the basement when it gets cold. That’s rare, but it’s mighty convenient.

Smart plugs from Feit (Costco) randomly turn off, and stay off. Would be nice if they turned back on. Schedule function is not being used either. YMMV.

I have some HS100s that work just fine. One is used every single day for automated living room corner light. On at dusk and off at dawn.
We don't have them turn ON automatically but they do turn OFF using Kasa's scheduler app. All of the smart switches have OFF schedules as well. This is mainly because of the kids.... If we go out of town, I will set them up to turn on/off at random times just like people used to do with mechanical timers (and still do, I'm sure!).