K seal

has anyone used this sealer , K Seal ?...the claim is it won't clog anything and is permanent ? I was thinking about using it in my 99 accord since its winter and way to cold out there to pull the dash . I can smell anti freeze from time to time inside the car with the heater on so I take its the heater core

I'm not a fan of any product that makes those claims. They're usually last resort type products that could cause issues elsewhere down the road in your cooling system. These are the key words that a lot of folks don't understand..."down the road"!

Make sure it's the heater core that is deffinitely where the smell of antifreeze/coolant is indeed coming from. The smell could be coming in from under the hood somewhere and the leak may be an easier fix than you might think...just sayin'!

Also, are you noticing any coolant loss from the radiator or overflow resivior? I know that the overflow resivior(way down low) is difficult to see on most Honda's and the level could also just be low due to the colder temperatures.

When the heater fan is "ON", keep in mind that you are pulling in some outside air from under the hood which could be bringing in some of that smell, where the leak may truly be...again, just sayin'!

Good luck
CB

Last edited:
I have used K-Seal last month (January 2021).
In my case it was a 2007 Highlander, coolant was dripping from the exhaust.
Coolant level kept getting low and I cannot see any drip anywhere.
So I suspect, there is headgasket leak or internal leak.
There were coolant in oil to the point that the oil was gelling (not a good situation).
I changed the oil again after I feel that the leak sealed up.

I put K-Seal through the upper radiator hose per instruction to react faster inside the engine.
Idle it and drive it easy for 2 hours.
Then regular driving.
After 2 days of regular, I parked it for 3 days.
The coolant drip stops.
So far so good.

I am not sure if it will work for heater core.
I must say I was skeptical also like the 2nd post but there is nothing to loose instead of replacing an engine for now.
I am not sure how long it will last but if it last another 2 years, it should be good.

as far as sealers go it’s pretty good, i knew a couple dealers that would use it to get cars off the lot.

not much in the bottle so won’t cause a mess. i would still flush it out when done

I personally have never had any luck using it.I like seal all or bars leak copper that have sodium silicate. It sounds like you had a mild leak.

In my research (not scientific just reading), the Sodium Silicate aka liquid glass is good if you don't suspect any head gasket leak.
If there is head gasket leak, then the SS will seep into the engine very fast and coagulate inside the engine instead of in sealing leak (coagulate) in cooling system ONLY.
SS has a very fast coagulation time when heated in the engine oil sticking to the internal of the engine.
Then you know what will happen.

thanks guys for your replies . I too am worried about using the stuff I have used bars leak in a 92 ford tempo years ago and I drove the car a few years after that , sold it and it's still on the road to this day with no coolant related problems … so when it does warm up a little i'll head out and check under the hood thanks again

I used K-Seal in my previous Explorer 4.0 which had a head gasket leak that was causing exhaust to blow out of the coolant reservoir when I got it. The K-Seal worked as described, following the directions, and I didn't have any cooling system issues for well over a year and 13k miles until the truck was totalled in a wreck. I drove it in all kinds of temperatures and never had overheating issues, and the heat always worked great.

Really depends on the vehicle, and the exact problem. I thought that if you aren't getting the cooling mixed into the oil, sealants work perfectly good. Having written that, when I was in that situation I went ahead and replaced the head gasket anyway. This was because I removed the valve cover and found loose head bolts, and figured that a sealant wasn't going to fix that. Otherwise I've used plenty of sealant with no bad effects.

I've used it on two different trucks with great results. Nothing compares to it for reliability. After the leak stops you can change your coolant as the repair is permanent.

I've used it on two different trucks with great results. Nothing compares to it for reliability. After the leak stops you can change your coolant as the repair is permanent.
i to have used it with good results.

Back