K&N worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet it depends on engine, driving style, and local conditions.

There are too many variables.

A back to back UOA comparison of your stock air filter vs. the KN would help. Without that, its just a coin toss like everything else.

But it is not. You can hold a K&N to the sun and see the holes with your own eyes. Microscopically that means those holes are Gigantic.

I have tested the K&N and the OEM paper filter. To see how much dirt was left inside my intake. The K&N left a layer of dirt. I used a white cloth to wipe it out. When I was done the cloth was black. I should have taken pictures.

I've suspected this for some time. I have a drop in K&N in the ODY, while I have a WIX on the Taurus. I've noticed the dust and thin layer of film on the air intake hose downstream of the filter (and .... NO I didn't "over oil" it either).

The next Amsoil order.....I'll have to add an air filter to my order for the ODY.
01.gif

Anyone interested in purchasing a K&N drop in for a 1999-2004 ODY??
wink.gif

Scratch the WIX above on the Taurus....just looked over my maintenance record....it's a EAA202.

Now, if Amsoil only made a absolute efficiency filter for my ODY, I'd be all set!

dont forget when the K&N filter starts to get dirty,those light spots you see holding it up to the sun,are filled in .

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
But why wait and let all the little pieces through before a big enough one blocks it?

Well you got me their.
grin2.gif
As I open mouth-insert foot.
45.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
But why wait and let all the little pieces through before a big enough one blocks it?

Buy the new improved K&N, it comes from the factory with a protective layer of dirt.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: XS650
Buy the new improved K&N, it comes from the factory with a protective layer of dirt.
grin2.gif

You mean dust from sitting on the shelf.
wink.gif

I bought a K&N air filter for my sister's Camry 2 years ago. I removed the filter today and it was caked with dirt. The filter was in there for roughly 26,000 miles. I decided to yank the MAS to see how dirty it was. Sure enough, the sensors were caked with dirt as well. I cleaned the MAS and threw in a paper filter. Never again will I purchase a K&N filter.

-ttvr4

Youch. I alomost bought one for my wife's car a few years back. I looked into it before I did and changed my mind.

Bought an air tube to reclaim the air box space. Came with a K&N cylinder thingie. Not bad numbers on UOA ..no this or that inside the air tube. The thing started getting lousy numbers after the 5th or 6th cleaning. I just think the gauze wears out.

I went back to paper. I'll go EAA when it's due for a swap.

Same. I'm waiting for this filter to get dirty then I'm putting in the Amsoil filter. If they use them in Abrams tanks, they'll work in my 4x4. ha

Do you have any solid evidence that Amsoil air filters are used in the Abrams?

Unless they changed path from when I got out of the biddness 11 years go, the Abrams has an elaborate self cleaning air filter developed by Donaldson. The filter element material is only a small part of how it works.

That is what I was referring too. Just a small joke. But I am going to try out an Amsoil filter once this paper one gets dirty.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I wouldn't use one if it was given to me.

+1, they allow a lot of dirt in the engine, to me its not worth the 2HP increase I "might" see.

Never mind the whole dirt thing, they are so da** expensive, it would take about 100k miles of using it before you just broke even on a $10 paper filter.

The "extra flow" is useless. The throttle body regulates the amount of air your engine needs. If it's opened up a certain amount, your engine is pulling all the air it needs. If you need "more flow," step on the gas more. The throttle plate will open up some more. Boom, instantly more air flow, no cr*ppy filter required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back