K&N worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking about these while at AAP...an it got me thinking: Would one of these even worth getting one for my Cobalt?

I know that they do work well for bigger engines, but what about for a small engine like the ecotec? Would I see any benefit?

For right now, the car does more city driving than freeway. The oiling does make me wonder, but I think you don't have to put too much on in the first place...

Opinions?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

I know that they do work well for bigger engines,
Opinions?

If you are talking about a drop in element, you know wrong.

Don't expect the touted power increase. The OE filter is spec'd to fulfill the airflow requirements of your engine. One thing you may notice is an improvement in transient throttle response. That is the most commonly shown attribute, particularly in turbocharged applications.

Keep in mind that there have been K&N owners who've found that the filter was allowing more contaminants through than their previous conventional paper filter had. I've seen a number of items that indicate that a properly designed foam filter is more effective at providing filtration while being less restrictive.

Then again, there are those who swear a K&N kit made it possible for their Civic to stomp all over a Porsche. Yeah, sure, I believe it...

I wouldn't use one... They are more hype than anything else... There is also controversy on here that they not only flow more air, but more dirt into your engine than a conventional paper filter.

Waste of money IMO, and not worth a potential risk...

Buy an Amsoil EAA filter... It's a premium filter and actually works!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

I know that they do work well for bigger engines,
Opinions?

If you are talking about a drop in element, you know wrong.

Yes, and Huh? Ah, I guess I should have said most people/engines.. I do know a few people who used them in their trucks (dodge and Chevy) and they like em...

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I wouldn't use one... They are more hype than anything else... There is also controversy on here that they not only flow more air, but more dirt into your engine than a conventional paper filter.

thumbsup2.gif

That I might have to look into if the price is right...
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC

thumbsup2.gif

Controversy? It is a fact. They DO let in more Dirt. A lot more dirt.

I had a K&N on my 97 Honda when i had it. Got it as a gift. I had over 80K on it and never had a issue. Currently im running a AFE Pro Dry on both car and truck.

I'd take a K&N with a sealed tube to my throttle body over an OEM air box containing a rat's nest with dust tracks leading all along the intake tract. Leaving it alone because it came on the car isn't the perfect approach. Over time components move around and heat changes them. 1990s cars both import and domestic are pain in the butts to close up right after servicing.

Ive put K&N on vehicles before, and no problems. Took some way over 150k miles before sold. Maintenance (or lack) is always a snowball affair. No one thing hurts like several back to back to back. If you are a great 3k oil changer, your air filter may not be as important on your car as someone who thinks all toyotas make it to 400k because they are toyotas, and get smoke at 79k.

I don't believe it to be controversy either, but I have seen posts on both sides stating that is is/isn't a good filter.

I personally have seen dust in the hose connecting my airbox to my throttle body on past vehicles using K&N, plus I didn't notice too much of a performance increase with it so it really wasn't worth the cost IMO.

I use OEM filters with cotton media and they work great and never leave dust tracks or signs they aren't up to the task.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: peterdes
Controversy? It is a fact. They DO let in more Dirt. A lot more dirt.

+1
Hold one up to the light and see the little points of light coming through.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm
I would use "paper" or the engine will not see any meaningful difference in breathing, only accelerated long-term wear, in my opinion.

shocked2.gif
frown.gif

Well, there goes that idea...car does not need more wear...

whole thing about letting more dirt in your engine is B.S. I have a 6000mi UOA with silicon levels of only 5ppm using a K&N filter, and my driving involved a daily two-way travel on a 1.5mile-long dirt road. maybe improper fitment is the problem for some.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hal
whole thing about letting more dirt in your engine is B.S. I have a 6000mi UOA with silicon levels of only 5ppm using a K&N filter, and my driving involved a daily two-way travel on a 1.5mile-long dirt road. maybe improper fitment is the problem for some.

It is not [censored]. I trust my own eyes and touch and SCIENCE. Then a UOA.

Think of it this way. You got 1-2 silicon in 5997 miles. You got 3-4 silicon in 3 miles thanks to the K&N.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have seen a UOA from an engine running a Kr@@p & Nasty you'd know thery are only fit for the bin, exactly where mine went! Amsoil EaA from pablo, a much better filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back