K&N Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: punisher
Originally Posted By: zloveraz

This article talks about MAF sensors, interesting read:

http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=422

Its a [censored] ad piece put out by K&N marketing. I worked in a dealership, I saw firsthand what K&Ns did to MAF sensors. It's not a myth. Never have figured out why people defend K&N.

The K&N did not damage the MAF sensor. As the filter comes from the factory, it will work without a problem. you can blame the oil, but not the filter. Some people do not know how to clean and re-oil the filter. They also need to clean the MAF sensor regardless of if they use paper or oiled gauze filters. I have had a K&N for 75K miles on my 2001 GMC 5.3 V-8. I never had a problem. I cleaned and oiled it several times. I also clean the MAF sensor and throttle body once a year.

P.S. Maybe Ford's MAF sensor is different.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: punisher
Originally Posted By: zloveraz

This article talks about MAF sensors, interesting read:

http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=422

Its a [censored] ad piece put out by K&N marketing. I worked in a dealership, I saw firsthand what K&Ns did to MAF sensors. It's not a myth. Never have figured out why people defend K&N.

The K&N did not damage the MAF sensor. As the filter comes from the factory, it will work without a problem. you can blame the oil, but not the filter. Some people do not know how to clean and re-oil the filter. They also need to clean the MAF sensor regardless of if they use paper or oiled gauze filters. I have had a K&N for 75K miles on my 2001 GMC 5.3 V-8. I never had a problem. I cleaned and oiled it several times. I also clean the MAF sensor and throttle body once a year.

P.S. Maybe Ford's MAF sensor is different.

Agreed!

I stopped using K&N filters almost ten years ago.

I do not know if this has changed, but I bought one of their 50 dollar panel air filters, it was so wet with oil, that the box was discolored from the oil.

That caused an issue with the mass air sensor.

Not only did I get zero benefit from the filter (horsepower, gas mileage), but I had to take apart a MAF sensor and clean it with electronics contact cleaner to get the car to run right again.

No thanks, honestly I'll stick with an OEM filter, or even FRAM makes a real good aftermarket filter for most applications.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I stopped using K&N filters almost ten years ago.

I do not know if this has changed, but I bought one of their 50 dollar panel air filters, it was so wet with oil, that the box was discolored from the oil.

That caused an issue with the mass air sensor.

Not only did I get zero benefit from the filter (horsepower, gas mileage), but I had to take apart a MAF sensor and clean it with electronics contact cleaner to get the car to run right again.

No thanks, honestly I'll stick with an OEM filter, or even FRAM makes a real good aftermarket filter for most applications.

Interesting, every K&N filter I have seen new is in a plastic back in the box

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I used one for a while, tossed it after joining Bitog.

Aww the wonderful brainwashing of BITOG
02.gif

Well, here's my take on things. K&N filters are not for everyone and certainly not for every climate. I have mentioned this several times. I wouldn't use a K&N in Phoenix! But, I like em OK in Upstate NY. We have a decent amount of rain fall to keep polutants to a minimum and many of us don't drive through construction areas. A K&N filter along with other mod's, have some benefits with out spending a life savings. I think that a K&N works well with others better than by itself. Kinda like certain people.

I have used K&N filters along with a few tweeks(not mod's) and have gained noticable throttle responce out of a couple of engines. Mainly engines that could have use a little help anyway.
Tweeks that today, probably can't be made on engines without a laptop. Tweeked carb's, advanced ignition timing, upped the octane, lowered the tire size, changed all engine/tranny/gear fluids to syn and better ignition parts. WOW! That woke thing up a little bit!

I don't think that for example, spark plugs that claim to have performance gains, will alone be noticable to the owner but, in conjuction with other tweeks/mods, there will be some benefits that can be detected. Same goes for a CatBack exhaust system. Some vehicles will have a noticable difference but others won't feel a thing. But, in conjuction with other mod's, they're could be a BIG BANG for the buck!

Originally Posted By: edhackett
The engine was out and apart. I ask what happened.

"K&N air filter", was the response.

Ed

K&N wasn't joking when they say - K&N air filter the last one you'll even need.

Well again, this vehicle(F-150)was off roading. We weren't there to whitness the cloud of dust/sand nor do we know just how many times this F Seires was going off road. Ed mentions that the truck was newish so, the amount of off roading we can assume was limited and maybe this shouldn't have happened. Also, they were in Navada! Just where the truck was off roading, we don't know but, if they were in NV, this is the desert gentlemen! That's why I previously mentioned that I wouldn't use a K&N in Phoenix. This is the desert! Lot's of sand, wind storms and polutants. We visit AZ & NV regulary to vacation and visit family and friends. Our daughter attended/graduated from ASU. We saw and drove through many sand storms. Little rain to keep polutants at bay. Not that they don't get rain, but it's not enough. It's the desert!

It's a shame that this guy didn't know to use better air filtration in that situation where high end breathing isn't needed as is low end torque. Although I don't know if this particular off roading was rock climbing or high speeds through the desert so, I don't want to over step my boundries here! I'm not sticking up for K&N as I have only used them with limited succuss and they cost too much money for the little to nothing that they give back but, I do think they have their place and they're not for everyone/climate.

As much as I've used K&Ns over the years, I'd agree with Char Baby and wouldn't run it in a dusty environment. I don't have much to worry about in Florida. After detailing, my engine bay stays clean for several months.

i used K&N in two cars that i have since sold.... I used them primarly because the filters for both my cars were 15 dollars plus each with a recommended replacement at 30,000 I got the K&N for 35 dollars or so each and in about 200,000 miles cleaned them twice and saved about 120 dollars on filters. Never had any issues blow by of dirt or oil or anything else. I now own a 2010 HHR and getting to the air filter is a pain in the butt. Also the stock airfilter is good for 50,000 according to the manual. As a side note i applied the oil to the KN myself after cleaning and you would really have to use a heavy hand to get so much oil that it would damage the MAP which in both of my cars was way up the tube from the air filter location.

After I would clean my K&N filters, I would first them dry for 3-4 days or whatever it took for them to dry and only then would I lightly oil them on the outside/underneath(depending if they were round or square/rectangle) very lightly and let the RED Oil soak in until all of the white spots from the filter turned red. If they needed another very light application, I would apply the oil sparingly. The K&N filters don't need to be soaking/dripping in oil.

You'll see some heavier oiled areas of the filter than others I suppose but, after installing the filter in the airbox and driving, the intake vacuum should pull the oil further into the filter for a more even oiling without getting any oil on the MAF sensor hopefully!

K&N's stink. I've blown MAF sensors, seen first hand what the upper ends look like.... dirty as heck. Stopped running K&N's, problems went away. Never blew another MAF and upper end stays clean, it's amazing. What I consider the smoking gun is why don't any OEM manufactures use K&N's?

I used to use K&N air filters. I frequently saw dirt on the clean side. Moreso in some vehicles than others. After a couple UOAs showing the difference between them and stock I tossed all but one which I keep on the shelf with the intention of putting back in once I no longer care about the engine in this car.

When I worked on motorcycles we could look at the valve seats and know if the guy used k&n filters. Especially in the bikes that had ram air with a panel filter that laid horizontally with the clean side on the bottom. Sand would just sift through the filters with vibration. Carb slides would get scraped up, valve seats pitted, cylinder walls scored.

I had a K&N in my Durmax. I had a dirty MAf sensor too. I asked what makes it dirty? My mech said most of the time there is a problem there is also a K&N filter in it. No problems since. Coincidence ? maybe.

Originally Posted By: 4x4taco
K&N's stink. I've blown MAF sensors, seen first hand what the upper ends look like.... dirty as heck. Stopped running K&N's, problems went away. Never blew another MAF and upper end stays clean, it's amazing. What I consider the smoking gun is why don't any OEM manufactures use K&N's?

Has to be the filters fault, couldn't be your fault.
33.gif

I have run KN filters and simota which are similar styled oiled ect in previous cars and no problems. I am currently using it on my 08 lancer and have not had any problems. Then again it is not very dusty in PR any ways. Some people have had bad experience with KN and some people just abuse the products i mean when you see the filter compared to a paper filter you can clearly tell it won't filter the kind of dust and dirt you would confront in the desert or off roading.

k&n myths all of them...been running k&n's for years and never any kind of oil on maf sensors...oil vapors move back and forth on the cold air side also..not the filter.

Paper air filters are fine for 98% of all vehicles, and 100% of those driven off-road or on gravel roads. They are also fine for nearly all forced-induction engines, because the turbocharger or supercharger will ensure that there's plenty of air available for combustion.

So who should buy a K&N air filter? I guess someone who wants some unmeasurably incremental improvement in performance, who does not want to spend money on something that will actually make a difference, and who does not mind having dust and grit sucked into his engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back