K&N micron filtration info conveniently "not available"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by Boomer
If I recall correctly, K&N was always known for a "high throughput" oil filter and sacrificed efficiency for flow. I assume that is still th case and would only use one in a situation where that was critical, ie the track.

K & N oil filters are now banned by a number of motorcycle road racing organizations ... too many leaks / failures, most from the welded on nut ...

I used one of these, the nut was really of no practical benefit to me and I ended up getting just a trace of oil leakage through the holes drilled in it...I guess to run a wire through?
Ended up giving the 2nd one I had bought to a friend who liked them, I had no intention of using it at that point. I have been using Tokyo Roki filters with Subaru branding for a while.
(returned the K&N air filter I had bought at the same time without putting it in my car)

Originally Posted by dwendt44
they just aren't giving you any information that won't support the price of the high priced filter.

They ARE selling that nifty nut on the bottom.
Yes, the nifty nut that causes the bottom of the filter to crack or rust & fail catastrophically! I'm surprised Champion Labs wouldn't release any info on K&N, they were really helpful when I asked about the (Champ made) Imperial XL filters when I asked about them,

"Our efficiency numbers are proprietary."

or

"Our efficiency numbers are not available at this time."

Translation: "Our efficiency numbers suck, so we just say they are 99% efficient since most people will never ask for 'at what micron size'."

Originally Posted by Pinoak
Made in the USA again by champion labs.
Can you share where you got this info? I know they were made by Champion a number of years ago, but last I heard they were being made in Korea and Mexico...

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
I've seen K&N oil filters dissected and I agree that the container sheet metal looks sturdy, blah, blah, blah, but aren't you curious about their actual performance as it relates to protecting your engine? *I* just think K&N is doing themselves a disservice by not offering such data.

Ed

What's going on? You mean that you actually buy oil filters based on their filtering performance?
crazy.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

or

Trandlation: "Our efficiency numbers suck, so we just say they are 99% efficient since most people will never ask for 'at what micron size'."

crackmeup2.gif

or

Translation: "Our efficiency numbers suck, so we just say they are 99% efficient since most people will never ask for 'at what micron size'."

They're steering clear of making any % efficiency rating. Heck, now I even question their, "Each K&N oil filter is tested to verify that they meet or surpass the requirements of the vehicle manufacturer." Where did they get the vehicle manufacturer requirements?...out of Cracker Jack (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_Jack)?

Ed

Last edited:
K&N won't tell because they don't make the filters. Champion won't tell because they might get in trouble with K&N.

With the recent experiences of shopping for a good M1 filter without all the glue everywhere, I've decided to skip Champ and go with another brand. Sloppy workmanship doesn't impress me.

Originally Posted by PimTac
K&N won't tell because they don't make the filters. Champion won't tell because they might get in trouble with K&N.

With the recent experiences of shopping for a good M1 filter without all the glue everywhere, I've decided to skip Champ and go with another brand. Sloppy workmanship doesn't impress me.

If you're right and Champion does make K&N filters, I found this on their website, "All Champ oil filters use filtration media engineered with a variety of natural and synthetic fibers to provide up to 98% efficiency while offering optimum capacity and flow restriction." Source: https://champfiltration.com/products/oil/

Ed

if its not good manufacturers say NOTHING!! on that micron issue remember the watery xx-20 oils have a thinner film that relates to being less protective!!!

If you're right and Champion does make K&N filters, I found this on their website, "All Champ oil filters use filtration media engineered with a variety of natural and synthetic fibers to provide up to 98% efficiency while offering optimum capacity and flow restriction." Source: https://champfiltration.com/products/oil/

Ed

The typical efficiency % statement with no associate micron size.

I've circled around. Been there done it. I chalk most of it up to marketing now days.

I get it. You buy into K&N (who gives you no numbers) marketing. But Fram (who gives you numbers) is just marketing hype.
02.gif

Originally Posted by benjy
if its not good manufacturers say NOTHING!! on that micron issue remember the watery xx-20 oils have a thinner film that relates to being less protective!!!

More hogwash from a drive by.

Ed

The typical efficiency % statement with no associate micron size.

Yeah, it's probably 98% efficiency at 50 microns.

smile.gif

Ed

Once upon a time, Champ Labs tested multi-pass. Efficiency was published as XX.X% @ 20 microns. I just looked at their site and the particle size has been purged.
33.gif
21.gif

This makes me think they may not be testing?

Originally Posted by Al
I've circled around. Been there done it. I chalk most of it up to marketing now days.

I get it. You buy into K&N (who gives you no numbers) marketing. But Fram (who gives you numbers) is just marketing hype.
02.gif

No and yes In that order.

Pinoak, I think based on your responses, we've finally determined the perfect filter for you: a spin-on remote adapter with two hose barbs and a 6" length of hose, since you don't care about filtration.

OP, I avoid K&N because they cost about 3 times what they're worth, especially considering there's no info available.

The only time I bought a K&N was when it was on clearance for $1.50 instead of regular $12.97 price, and that was just so 53' Stude could chop it open!

Originally Posted by Al

02.gif

No and yes In that order.

LOL let me file this over in the folder for opinions that don't matter!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
This is why it should be required on the box as X at 20 microns. Stop the factory apples and pears BS game.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ all day everyday.

[

Not my fault you and your buddies gotta make every oil filter post about fram now your fragile feelings are hurt cuz I answered a question about it.
[/quote]

Wrong again as usual look at the sig line and see what I'm running for filter. Currently no Frams. Its always what's 99 + % and on sale. I very seldom pay much over $6 for a filter. But you are good for a laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back