JWS 3309/T-IV - Total FluidMatic MV?

Hi guys,

Fustrating matter with my Chevy Aveo tranny with the Aisin 4 speed box that requires 3309/T-IV.
Can't get Mobil 3309 off the shelf here or any other oils that match T-IV spec.

Now I can get hold of Total Fluide G3 from a local supplier. Not familiar with this atf but then looking at the spec sheet for Total Fluidmatic MV says 'previously G3' and also lists T-IV on their spec sheet.

Can anyone confirm 100% that I can use Total Fluide G3 in my Aveo Aisin tranny that requires T-IV or 3309?

I've spent a week reading all the threads but haven't come up with confident alternative that is available here down in S.America. (unbelievably they don't change the tranny atf at any service here). Had to order my filter and sump gasket from USA also!!
One local guy said he would just use Dex 3 and it didn't have a filter. No thank you. I think I'll do this job myself. Bad experiences from having a Jag with the ZF6hp26 tranny tells me to do this myself.

If I can't use the MV then I'll have to order Mobil 3309 from overseas in a crate of 12 costing an arm and a leg.

Thanks in advance

No local Toyota dealers?

Where I live, they have a decent price on Genuine Toyota T-IV. Buy a case, perhaps, for a full fluid exchange and ask for a discount...

Originally Posted by Astro14
No local Toyota dealers?

Where I live, they have a decent price on Genuine Toyota T-IV. Buy a case, perhaps, for a full fluid exchange and ask for a discount...

I'm afraid not. Looked at the option.

Only recently have Uruguay started bringing in more modern automatic cars. Stick is still the king so garages aren't just knowledgeable about their maintenance.

When I visited the main Chevy spare parts importers and asked for a filter and gasket for the tranny I just got confused faces!! Think they would all just chuck the cheapest Dex 3 in a tranny if they had to refill it. All the same aren't they? Oils oil.
Started talking about the different ATF's/transmissions to my mechanic and just got a blank and he said it was too much information!.

Last edited:
OP is in UK, that means England, yes where the Queen is located.

Means that the product there is different than US.

Not sure how to verify to answer your questions?
What does the owner's manual say it needs?

Originally Posted by Sam_Julier
Can you get Idemitsu TLS or Aisin T-IV?

Sam

Sorry no impossible. Been pulling my hair out with this dilemna. Can't afford to screw this tranny due to the lack of mechanical support. I'm planning on changing the atf on a regular basis to keep the tranny in tip top condition. Approaching 70,000 kms. Service says 80,000 kms change so planning on changing it very soon.

So probably the Total Fluidmatic MV is not recommended? Even though it meets the requirements of T-IV it does not explicity state it is suitable for that transmission if I cam correct in understanding the technical sheets. Different frictional modifiers as T-IV is highly refined.

Originally Posted by JMJNet

Sorry I'll change my location now. Recently moved back to Uruguay

Manual says JWS 3309 or Fluid IIIG which is not available here. Total Fluide G3 is which has different specs I see. Appear the same IIIG / G3?

Last edited:
I would use it without worry.....Total is a reputable company and they claim it is suitable for JWS 3309. Most MV ATF's that I've used work well in Toyota Aisin A/Ts ...so I doubt they would cause issues in an Aveo Aisin A/T....

Most name brand multi-vehicle fluid that claims to be working for specific brand should be ok. They are probably using the same additives to blend it anyways. Especially for an older fluid spec like Toyota T IV.

I can only get hold of G3 here which doesn't list T-IV/3309 I see now on the specs.

But MV says it's a replacement for G3. This is my major concern about using G3 and not the new MV. Have the changed their formula to make it compatible with T-IV now and G3 wasn't?

By the looks of it G3 is just a version of Dex III by Total. Looks like the MV is not equivalent at all.

Back to ordering Mobil 3309 from overseas I think.

Total en Canada just got back to me and said:

fluidmatic mv = jws 3309 = t-iv = old g3

We have an additional sheet with a more complete list will send tomorrow.

Bit of a minefield as Dex III is not suitable for T-IV transmissions BUT G3 specs says it's recommended for all automatic transmissions and hydraulic systems when the manufacturer requires an Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) GM DEXRON ®III.

I'll wait for their more complete list.

Ah...I see...when I read your nickname, I thought, "UK"... Not Montevideo...

Still, surprising that there aren't any Toyota dealers in Montevideo.

Sadly, I don't know if the fluid to which you're referring is OK, nor do I have any more helpful suggestions.

I would be cautious using generic fluid as well. Lots of things claim to meet T-IV/JWS-3309, but not all of them do. As the owner of 3 Volvos that require the fluid, I am picky on that point, too...

Originally Posted by Astro14
Ah...I see...when I read your nickname, I thought, "UK"... Not Montevideo...

Still, surprising that there aren't any Toyota dealers in Montevideo.

Sadly, I don't know if the fluid to which you're referring is OK, nor do I have any more helpful suggestions.

I would be cautious using generic fluid as well. Lots of things claim to meet T-IV/JWS-3309, but not all of them do. As the owner of 3 Volvos that require the fluid, I am picky on that point, too...

I'll try contacting the Toyota dealership here. If you can't find it online most likely it's not available to the public.

A Mobil contact can get hold of a crate of 12 litres of 3309 but at over 20 usd a litre and 12 bottles min! Only on special order from overseas.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

I was never aware Uruguay was part of the United Kingdom until now that you for teaching is this.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Order Mobil 3309 by the case off the internet. That is what I do.

Wish it was that easy. Everything you take for granted coming from a first world country just doesn't work here.

You can't just buy off the Internet from overseas. Miss my amazon prime and ebay.

Originally Posted by dave1251

I was never aware Uruguay was part of the United Kingdom until now that you for teaching is this.

I updated my location half way through the thread 🤣
Been back and forth between the UK and Uruguay since I've been a member here.

Well that is contradicting information.
I understood Dexron III should not be used for T-IV/3309 filled transmissions.
My chevy manual says JWS3309 or Total fluid IIIG.

Total have said:
Total Fluide G3 is a current brand name see attached this product is GM Dexron IIIH approved this replaced Dexron IIIG.
Total Fluidmatic IIIG is replaced by Total Fluide G3

So Total Fluide G3 can be used which is just a brand name for Dex III I understand. hmmm so mix Dex III (G3) the factory filled T-IV Aisin??
I'm inclined to stick with 3309 as it's supposed to be a better quality oil than Dex III.

Back