JWS 3309 for Volvo, called 3 places, got 3 answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Maxlife seems to serve others well in 3309/TiV applications. I would give that a shot. After all you said they are reputable.

+1 My Equinox has an AW transmission and I have used both 3309 and maxlife. My Transmission feels the best with Maxlife versus 3309.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Maxlife seems to serve others well in 3309/TiV applications. I would give that a shot. After all you said they are reputable.

+1 My Equinox has an AW transmission and I have used both 3309 and maxlife. My Transmission feels the best with Maxlife versus 3309.

Just because you think it "feels" better with the MaxLife doesn't mean it is better with regards to durability or longevity compared to what the OEM specced which is Mobil 3309. The original engineers designed the unit with 3309 and it is likely that the longevity and durability will be as good or better with the OEM
fluid over MaxLife. Mobil is a dino based fluid while MaxLife is synthetic based you also have to think about the seals as well, were they designed to deal with synthetic fluid?

3309 is an old spec. If it were so durable, there would be no difference in shift quality after a fluid change. I find that with most, a fluid change is very noticeable. 3309 degrades too quickly.

I don't recommend or use 3309. But, it's cheap compared to RedlineAmsoilRoyalpurple...

Seals don't care if it's synthetic or not, especially since many are group3 pseudo synths, and ATFs are blended with seal compatibility in mind.

If you don't do the recommended maintenance like doing drain and fills on the transmission, perhaps the MaxLife might be a better choice, however, if you are good about maintaining your Volvo I would go with what the original engineers designed your unit with, which is the Mobil 3309. Folks don't realize today that modern units are computer controlled and the parameters of those TCMs are designed around the specific properties of the OEM fluid.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
3309 is an old spec. If it were so durable, there would be no difference in shift quality after a fluid change. I find that with most, a fluid change is very noticeable. 3309 degrades too quickly.

I don't recommend or use 3309. But, it's cheap compared to RedlineAmsoilRoyalpurple...

Seals don't care if it's synthetic or not, especially since many are group3 pseudo synths, and ATFs are blended with seal compatibility in mind.

What he said haha

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back