Justice Brothers and Bearing Machine Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I met a fellow the other day and after a bit we started talking cars he had a race car project being in his shop. Turns out he's also involved in lubricant additives and such from a company called 'JB' or Justice Brothers (justicebrothers.com I think). I'd never heard of this brand of products but it appears to be a line that largely competes against BGProducst for a lack of a better comparison. I think it's marketed to repair shops and dealerships mostly.

Are there any particular JB products that folks have found to be particularly good or bad or whatever? Other comments?

---

Also he had an old bearing machine demo unit that he jokingly referred to as his 'snake oil' machine. Perhaps some of you guys that have been around have seen these. It was a simple enough operation for him to fire up. It had an electric motor and it turned a bearing via a belt. The small bearing had a 'cup' underneath that he filled w/ Castrol motor oil and the bottom of hte bearing could just touch/pickup. Then there was a long bar on a pivot whose end rubbed directly on the 'bearing'. THe other end of hte bar allowed for the infamous stacking of weights. All that make sense?

Well he fired it up and he castrol oil immediately bathed the bearing and w/ 1 weight there was an audible 'whine'. The 2nd weight brought the bearing to a halt. Then he started it all again w/ a squirt of some JB product or other. This time he was able to stack all the weights on and it kept on going w/ no halt to the bearing.

Cute demo but I wondered to myself how it would have faired w/ a GL4 or GL5 w/ EP additives rather than a motor oil.

JUst for the record additional additives are NOT my cup of tea - I very much prefer plain ol' API certified oils and lubricants in general - just thought I'd share a rather interesting experience was all.

thanks,

That's a similar machine setup to one I saw 15 years ago to demo "Pro-Blend Metal Treatment". The differece was that the machine I saw hdd an ammeter to show the amount of friction.

Back in school we used the same machine to do a statistical analysis on motor oils in a 3rd year mechanical engineering lab. This tested the breakdown stress of the oil, but represents very little in terms of the function of the oil in the engine. I agree that this test may be somewhat more valid with a GL-4 or GL-5 oil.
Our results ended up being very meaningless due to differences in the way the operators used the machine and differences in measurement of the wear scar.

quote:

Originally posted by SilverHemi03:
That's a similar machine setup to one I saw 15 years ago to demo "Pro-Blend Metal Treatment". The differece was that the machine I saw hdd an ammeter to show the amount of friction.

That one does as well.

Yep! That's the same basic machine setup.

What about Justice Brothers or JB? Just curious if anybody had tried any of their 'additives' or had any opinions one way or the other? Any good sleeper products or snake oil or what? One of their claims is that they 'condition the metal not the oil' I hadn't heard that one in a long time but I know I've heard it somewhere years ago...

thanks,

[ October 01, 2003, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: pgtr ]

JB has been selling products for YEARS.

Do I think they are any good?

Actually I don't know. Well - I haven't seen much evidence.

Lot's of people say they are pretty snake oil like.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
JB has been selling products for YEARS.

Do I think they are any good?

Actually I don't know. Well - I haven't seen much evidence.

Lot's of people say they are pretty snake oil like.

Respectable snake oil
grin.gif

What you are looking at is nothing more than a barrier additive of sorts. Does it condition metal? No. Nothing changes the metal. Heat normally activates barrier additives, some at lower temps such as zddp, others at higher temps such as moly 400+deg. The chemical used will get an ionic attraction to the surface of the metal and adhere, some more than others, but it does not become or change into metal, so the metal surface is still the same. What an additive does such as this is provide a barrier coat of lubricant(for lack of a better term), on the surface, that takes more extreme pressure to remove as it is not a hydrodynamic fluid film.

So, what constitutes a "Snake oil"?

The problem with additives(snake oil) is that adding such can adversly affect the oils blend of additives. The blender might have a small percentage of barrier additives, blended with the detergents, antioxidants, disperants, and so on, all of which is in proper portion and allowing all the additives to work together on the surface. Now you come along, add in extra barrier additives and now it overtakes the surface area not allowing the other additives to work as intended, so now the base oil suffers from excessive oxidation due to antioxidants. deteregents and dipersants not being able to do their job as intended. Then add in the possiblity that some barrier additives become chemically corrosive when byproducts of nitration and blowby gases are introduced.

Look at how adding an additive to gear oil can affect the antifoaming additives in this example. The Story about Additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back