Just waxed the Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, I put on a fresh coat of wax to protect the car from the winter.

Here's the steps I took:
1. Underbody wash at a automatic car wash
2. Hand wash to get what the automatic wash missed
3. Mother's clay bar kit
4. Hand wash to remove Mother's clay bar lubricant
5. Turtle Wax Ice paste wax
6. Meguiars Endurance tire shine

The car is a 2010 Honda Civic LX, 17,043 miles

I usually wash the car every 1-3 months with Turtle . I wax it in the spring and fall. I get the underbody washed the same time it's time for wax.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I use the Meguiars clay kit - those clay kits really take the crud out of the paint. My vehicles are garaged, and I was still surprised how much stuff was in the paint. I wax my van with Meguiars Gold Class. Your Civic looks great I want one someday....

You're right. I lived in Ohio for 15 years and I've lived in texas for 4 years. I'm just used to doing things the way I did up north.
Originally Posted By: dparm
Sounds like you're ready for winter! Oh wait, you don't have winters in Texas. :)

Actually it took me 5 hours.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Looks very nice, must spent 4-5 hours to do all those things.

Unfortunately that is not frequent enough. If you want the paint to stay in good shape, you need to wash it at least every 2 weeks, preferably weekly.

Also, rarely do waxes and sealants last more than 1-2 months, especially Turtle Wax ICE. your car is probably without protection for most of the year.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Unfortunately that is not frequent enough. If you want the paint to stay in good shape, you need to wash it at least every 2 weeks, preferably weekly.

Also, rarely do waxes and sealants last more than 1-2 months, especially Turtle Wax ICE. your car is probably without protection for most of the year.

I wholeheartedly agree! Especially in TEXAS and a dark colored vehicle. Without regular pampering, the paint won't last in that ))HEAT(( It'll need to be garaged regularly and parked in the shade when it's not!

Originally Posted By: The Critic

The car looks nice but I agree. Wash more often and step up to a (much) better final product like Collinite #845 if you are only going to wax twice a year.

I was reading my post and I meant to say that I wash it every 1-3 months with Turtle Wax Zip Wax. It is a 2 in 1 car wash. It is good for maintaining the wax I already have on the car.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
I was reading my post and I meant to say that I wash it every 1-3 months with Turtle Wax Zip Wax. It is a 2 in 1 car wash. It is good for maintaining the wax I already have on the car.

Zip wax does nothing at all for protection, nothing. It's a car wash with rinsing agents. Quick detailers also do little to nothing they are cleaners. Spray on wipe off products that protect must contain wax or sealant like Optimum Spray Wax, Meguiar's Quik Wax, or Duragloss Aquawax for some examples. Optimum is actually a true carnauba wax the other two are sealants. They help a little and keep it looking good but do not protect the finish as well as other products that require some effort like the Collinite mentioned previously.

You can't cut corners if you want your paint to last under the Texas sun.

If the water still beads off your paint, doesn't that mean the wax is still good? I put Nu Finish on my other car and a year later, the water still beads. It says that it's a once a year car polish.

OP, car looks great.

A step that might save some time would be after you hand wash, don't dry and instead, use the suds as lubricant for your clay bar. Add more suds or detailing spray as necessary. Rinse and dry after your claying is complete.

To add longevity, use a sealant or collinite 476 or 845.

I wax my vehicles 2 times a year and the collinite 476 topped with 845 has been my latest job. I really liked the results. The 476 alone can last 6 months without too much trouble.

Keep up the good work.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Yes, I agree with Malo!
I use products like these all the time after each wash. Any of them!

+1

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
If the water still beads off your paint, doesn't that mean the wax is still good? I put Nu Finish on my other car and a year later, the water still beads. It says that it's a once a year car polish.

How much beading is there? There's always going to be some beading due to some wax-type product in the wash soap.

For me, by the time my paint no longer feels super slick, the beading has usually been reduced significantly. This usually occurs by the 3rd or 4th week, and tells me it is time to reapply more sealant or wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back