just used a clay bar for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, that was so good it should be fattening.

I realize it's all in my head, but after a layer of wax the car practically sparkles. Did a really good job at pulling off most of the tree sap, only leaving one rather large, hardened patch on the top of the car.

Now, for a question: I didn't notice a change in the function whether I used a heave spray of detailer or if I just used enough to make the clay slide.

Does the amount of spray change how well it cleans the surface? I went over it a second time, just to be sure.

As long as there's enough solution for the clay bar to slide across the paint and not stick to or scratch it. I've also used car wash soap as lube. Wash panel, rinse, soap up panel, use clay bar, rinse. After the car is clayed the paint should be nice and smooth.

A Nano sponge is even better since you don't have to kneed it and don't have to throw it away if it drops on the ground. Surf City Clayzilla at Walmart for $20. Lasts a long time.

SatinSilver,
I actually saw that when I got my clay bar, but skipped over it since it was 30% more than the clay, and I hadn't heard of it. I'll keep that in mind when I need to replace the clay I have. Thank you!

Glad the clay bar worked for you. As a suggestion for the remaining tree sap, try rubbing alcohol - it dissolves the stuff like magic. It also strips the wax, but you were going to redo that patch anyway.

The sprays main purpose is to lubricate the clay bar to slide on the surface of the clear coat. I used it for the first time last year when all the city's in my area decided to put down a fresh layer of asphalt. It got all over everyone's paint tho but the clay bar did a great job removing it.

Danh,
Thank you for that! I've already waxed it after the clay bar, but it won't kill me to re-wax a section of it.

All in all, a well spent $15.

3800series,
I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't affect the overall outcome in the future if I used too much of the lubricant. I can imagine it'd pull the tar off, I was honestly surprised at how easily it took off all the tree sap, and how cleanly it left the rubber trim pieces.

Rolla07, if only I had known sooner! The first pass along my hood left the clay looking like I had dragged it through spilled coffee! After waxing, it was like dragging my hand across perfectly clean glass.

Originally Posted By: RichardS
Rolla07, if only I had known sooner! The first pass along my hood left the clay looking like I had dragged it through spilled coffee! After waxing, it was like dragging my hand across perfectly clean glass.

Yeah, my first experience was similar! Driving with window down and hand on that smooth glass finish, not much tops that!

It isn't all in your head. Clay bars are very important to how well my cars look. Only an orbital with polish can make it any better. I second the Isopropyl alcohol.

Rolla07, it really doesn't! The prius wasn't this smooth fresh off the delivery truck. I just wanted to clay all my neighbors cars when I was done.

Dorian, I did go back with isopropyl and remove the one last sport of sap. wiped dry, a quick hit with detailer, and then re-waxed that area.

the only downside are the now clear, undeniable paint chips. They seem so much more obvious with all the other background gunk taken off. It needs a new fender, so a paint job is on the list anyway.

Clay bars are great. I detailed a family member's Avalon today and I just mixed up car wash soap and water in a spray bottle and used that for the lubricant for the clay bar. Then I pulled the car out of the garage and rinsed it off to get the soap off again, worked great.

Remove the dried tree sap spot with the small pre-soaked packs of glasses lens cleaners tissues (buy from WM) . Works better than ANYTHING you can buy and I tried them all !! Try what I said first before you try other remedies that will ruin your clear coat (ask me how I know ...) !!
Originally Posted By: RichardS
OMG, that was so good it should be fattening.

I realize it's all in my head, but after a layer of wax the car practically sparkles. Did a really good job at pulling off most of the tree sap, only leaving one rather large, hardened patch on the top of the car.

Now, for a question: I didn't notice a change in the function whether I used a heave spray of detailer or if I just used enough to make the clay slide.

Does the amount of spray change how well it cleans the surface? I went over it a second time, just to be sure.

ChrisD46, too late. I hit it with a little rubbing alcohol, and it came right up. I will keep that in mind, should I have any more sap decide to take up residence on my car.

At $60???
shocked2.gif

No way I'd spend $60 on that. Clayzilla at Walmart for under $20 or the new Mothers Speed clay at O'Reileys for $18 on sale right now. Plus both are washable just a smaller surface area on them to clay with. If I was a professional I'd get the bigger one.

Walmart has a new electric DA Polisher for $50 that I may pick up. If I don't like then I can always return it since they are nice about returns there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back