Just took the Redline Plunge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed out my wifes Avalon sludge monster w/ RL 5w30 today. Just a few unscientific observations.

Thin Thin Thin Thin Thin Thin Thin ThinThinThinThinThinThinThinThinThinThinThinThinThinThinThinThinThinThinThinThinThinThinThin

Seemed kinda thin
grin.gif

Had a very different feel and consistency than I am used to

Was a cool caramel type color

Bottles took forever to pour. They have small tops.

I'll let you know how it goes...

wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Not the Autorx Frank:
1 yr or so for 10k......

I'll be switching my f150 over to RL next week, should have a UOA in 4-5 Mo from a 10k run...

1 year or 12,000-18,000 miles depending on situation.

"1 year or 12,000-18,000 miles depending on situation."

That's Red Line's maximum recommendation ... and I think it's optimistic. The stuff doesn't seem quite stable enough for extreme intervals ... and by that I mean anything over 10,000 miles.

Frank, are you saying the old oil came out thin or the new Red Line went in thin?

I'll have a UOA from my Sentra Spec-V at the end of April ... should have about 5,000 winter miles on mine.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
"1 year or 12,000-18,000 miles depending on situation."

That's Red Line's maximum recommendation ... and I think it's optimistic. The stuff doesn't seem quite stable enough for extreme intervals ... and by that I mean anything over 10,000 miles.

Frank, are you saying the old oil came out thin or the new Red Line went in thin?

I'll have a UOA from my Sentra Spec-V at the end of April ... should have about 5,000 winter miles on mine.

--- Bror Jace

When I talked with Dave at Red Line, he mentioned that it would be a waste to use teh oil and change it out before the recommended interval (12,000-18,000 miles). He thought I was nuts when I told him that I change it out every 5,000 miles.

ask dave at: www.redlineoils.com
* look up the phone number there in Benecia, Ca. Ask for Dave Grandquist. He'll answer all your questions.

Bror,

Seemed thin going in....kinda like low fat maple syrup....it was very clingy (is that a word) though. wanted to stay on the surfaces of the inside of the bottle...

Going 10k based on a perscription from T. Dyson, I have LC in also....Runnin FP n the fuel.....

I have the infamous v-6 as well. I think you should stay on the safe side and perform a used oil analysis at 7,500 first. If good, then move up. One thing though, I would perform an engine flush first though. This is what I am doing before extending my OCI.

I have always loved Redline but never considered using it since most places sold it for $15 to $17 per quart up here. But now that Canadian Tire sells it for $11.99 and this week it's on sale for just over $10, it's something I'm highly considering! As always, I'm looking for a replacement for GC if it disappears (since my local Walmart still hasn't restocked in a long time now)

Frank--
1. When I switched from M1 0W-40 to RL 5W-40, I noticed the RL was thicker. What are you comparing it with?
2. I too initially didn't like the small RL bottle tops. Then I realized I no longer needed the big yellow on/off nozzle I had to use on the large-topped M1 bottles.
3. After you tip the RL bottle into the engine's oil-fill hole, pop a hole or 2 into its bottom with an awl; it empties quite quickly then. Of course this won't work if you use the quart bottles for drain oil.

yeah thought about pokin holes but that would too much work walking back to the toolbox and all....
tongue.gif

I was running M1 5w30. I swear M1 seems thicker to me.......

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I have always loved Redline but never considered using it since most places sold it for $15 to $17 per quart up here. But now that Canadian Tire sells it for $11.99 and this week it's on sale for just over $10, it's something I'm highly considering! As always, I'm looking for a replacement for GC if it disappears (since my local Walmart still hasn't restocked in a long time now)

Hey Pat, I still see the GC at the Walmart on Dundas/Trafalgar, you might wanna try the new one on Erin Mills pkwy and Burnamthorpe.

Which oil do you guys think would be better for the 2004 S2000? Redline 5w/10w30 or the GC 0w30? The car will be driven hard
cool.gif
with many trips to the 8300rpm redline. It will be stored for the winter so extreme winter starts are not in the picture.

Quick_lude, I'd say GC for the money but RL I think handles hard driving better. I'm very confused by RL bc UOA's don't paint the whole picture and 99% of us are basing everything off of them. Tough call but for the $$, GC is a steal.

We now have RL available at Advance Auto Parts for $7.78qt. That will make my life even more difficult when chosing the oil for my next car.
banghead.gif

[ April 06, 2004, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Hey Buster, money will not be an issue since I won't drive the S more than 10,000km per year so with storage I'm probably looking at two oil changes per year.
GC here is $6.66/L while Redline is on sale right now for $10.xx/Quart. While almost double the price, per year cost increase won't matter to me.. want the best oil for my engine.
Oh and the M1 Rrrrrr
tongue.gif
0w30 is not available here yet.
Right now I'm leaning towards Redline 10w30. Not sure if I should bother with the 5w40 though.
dunno.gif

Quick_lude, did you consider Amsoil? ASL/ATM are two great oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back