Just switched from VZW to Cricket..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I've had verizon wireless forever. I switched to a VZW $40/mo prepay plan for just my line about a year ago and that was great. My problem is, with the missus and 4 school aged kids, the wireless bill is a killer. I've had my eldest child's line on Straight talk for a couple years and that AT&T service works out OK, but is near $50/mo with tax/fees by itself. If it works out, the goal is the 4 lines for $100 deal.

We'll see how it goes. I'm having them port my number over to a new Cricket Motorola e5 supra for $119 and will be the crash test dummy for the family to see how this service goes.

I am all over Western New York. Live in South Buffalo and work in Cheektowaga. I have me, my wife, parents and brothers on my AT&T Unlimited Plus plan.

Coverage is really good with AT&T. I have found that the spots that are tough/poor coverage... the Verizon coverage ins't any better.

LTE is almost everywhere unless you're in Gowanda, Boston Hills, Derby... 4G/HSPA+ works well enough.

My company switched all our work phones from AT&T to Verizon, we all think think the service was better with AT&T.

Thanks guys. I live out in ski country and being in a valley, I'm lucky to get 1-2 bars of cell signal with any phone or carrier. Wifi calling is important, which was another reason I sprung for that motorola e5. It's one of crickets phones that supports wifi calling.

I can easily get by with 2gigs/mo of data, but we'll see what happens if all is well and I add 3 kids to my account. Curious to how "unlimited" data works out and how painful it would get if someone gets carried away.

I love Cricket. Been using it for about 4 years now. 5 lines for $100 all-in.

No trouble with reception/signals, even when traveling. It also worked perfectly back in May when I was in San Juan and St. Thomas.

You'll get the same coverage as AT&T on cricket wireless-cricket uses AT&T tower's. Only drawback is the throttled data speeds. Just stay clear of metropcs and T-Mobile, both the same network coverage sucks once you're out of a metro area.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
You'll get the same coverage as AT&T on cricket wireless-cricket uses AT&T tower's. Only drawback is the throttled data speeds. Just stay clear of metropcs and T-Mobile, both the same network coverage sucks once you're out of a metro area.

yeah i think its 3 mps? i have gotten 40 mps on ST .

I must just be unlucky-but our AT&T coverage in Greater Cincinnati is HORRIBLE-I have areas where I can't even make a call due to the enormous number of MVNO customers & regulars on their network, west side of Dayton, OH for example. There's been many occasions where I actually have to use my Tracfone iPhone 4 (on VZW) to actually be able to make a call!

Verizon is the only carrier that gets reception in the Huron National Forest where we deer hunt. My hunting buddy calls his home right from his deer blind in the thicket swamp.

I have Metro PCS and I have to drive five miles from my hunting seat - perch myself on a high hill - then call my wife in late evenings. But what I pay for two phones each month - he pays twice as much for one phone. Thankfully, gun-hunting is only in November and December here

That's my fear. You get what you pay for. If you're getting 4 lines for half the cost of VZW, something has got to give. Granted I'm not a heavy phone user, but when I need to make a call, I expect it to work. This will be interesting and I will post back with my results..

Last edited:
I switched from AT&T to Cricket 4 years ago and the only difference is the amount that I pay. For people on Verizon who enjoy their service, you can switch to Total Wireless or Page Plus, both use Verizon lines at Cricket prices.

Originally Posted By: gojoneeded
... For people on Verizon who enjoy their service, you can switch to Total Wireless or Page Plus, both use Verizon lines at Cricket prices.

One, if not both of those are Tracfone companies. I believe the network they use depends on the make/model phone used.

Originally Posted By: JTK
... For people on Verizon who enjoy their service, you can switch to Total Wireless or Page Plus, both use Verizon lines at Cricket prices.

One, if not both of those are Tracfone companies. I believe the network they use depends on the make/model phone used.
Yes-even though newer phones can allegedly use either CDMA or GSM, to get Verizon service on Tracfone it seems to help to have an ex-Verizon phone. My wife's iPhone 6, an ex-AT&T phone, wouldn't work with a CDMA SIM card, had to use a GSM one. Total Wireless & Page Plus are both Tracfone companies-but for light users like me, Tracfone is a LOT cheaper.

I have cricket for 2+ years now.. going on 3years and its been mostly flawless.

yes if you update 20 apps it takes an extra min or 2 at 8mbits.
had a couple hiccups usually about 1-2 days a year it will be goofy for a couple hours.
once it was from a fiber cut in california(iirc).

If you prefer verizon towers get total wireless.
Prices are very reasonable.. but limited to 5mbit lte.. which is fine for pretty much everything except downloads.

I switched from AT&T to Cricket 4 years ago and the only difference is the amount that I pay. For people on Verizon who enjoy their service, you can switch to Total Wireless or Page Plus, both use Verizon lines at Cricket prices.

I have total wireless. The only issue with it is if you are roaming you are not going to call anyone or text. Data still works on roaming oddly. It isn’t a big issue around the towns here but if you are out in the country you don’t get much service.

Us cellular is the only thing that works practically everywhere in the Midwest but they know that is the case and charge accordingly.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Verizon is the only carrier that gets reception in the Huron National Forest where we deer hunt. My hunting buddy calls his home right from his deer blind in the thicket swamp.

I have Metro PCS and I have to drive five miles from my hunting seat - perch myself on a high hill - then call my wife in late evenings. But what I pay for two phones each month - he pays twice as much for one phone. Thankfully, gun-hunting is only in November and December here

How about you just borrow your friends phone and call your wife...

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

How about you just borrow your friends phone and call your wife...

I still need to rive those five miles for dinner. You want me to eat all his food too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back