Just some random thoughts.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why so many people dislike Castrol Syntec (U.S. Version) I have yet to see a bad UOA with it. So it's not a PAO, but is that neccasaraly bad if it is capable of doing a good job? Also I know that Penzoil is a good conventional oil (I currently am running there 5w20 for my first change), but I do have some trouble trusting a company that is willing to put their name on re-labled FRAM filters. I have to say that castrol is very stringent with there quality standards. I work at a shop that uses Bulk oil, the only way that you can get Castrol is in 55 gallon drums, or in a truck that cariies NOTHING but Castrol motor oil. Most bulk oil comes in trucks that will carry all kinds of oil's, gear lubes, ATF's, etc. All this swapping leads to contamination. If Castrol finds that you do any of this with their oil's they will cut you off as a vendor. Also their filters are re-labled wix filters. These are just some things that I have learned from working with different suppliers at our shop. Just figured I would share the info.
patriot.gif

Hey B250!

BTW - Nice truck. I've got a black 150 that I love.

The Castrol subject has many people PO'ed cause they switched from a PAO based full syn to a group III without re-labeling and without changing their price. Doing a search here would give a plethora of debates.

In reality it will probably protect an engine very well, though I don't know if it would be better or worse than a PAO based synthetic. Who knows without consistent UOA's.

Thanks crashz! I have only had it for two months, but I LOVE it. What year is your F150? I plan on keeping it for the long haul, that is why I am so interested in the wealth of knowledge to be found on this site!
worshippy.gif

Mine is a 2001. I've got 73K miles on it and its just broken in! Only gripe I've ever had is the engine. I got the V6 instead of the V8 beacuse of the $3000 credit. The V6 is adequate, but not very sporty in a fullsize 4x4. Besides that the truck has been trouble free and a pleasure to drive.

This site has changed my outlook on lubrication drastically. I'm still learning and experimenting with the right oil for my truck. There is a ton of new info here and a lot to learn.
cheers.gif

Simply put: IT COSTS TOO MUCH Thats the real beef. Try running it extended drain intervals. And if you are not running extended-Chevron Supreme, Schaeffer's Blend, and probably Pennzpoi, GTX and Motorcraft will give the same results at a Buck a quart
mad.gif

Has anyone heard of the so-called "brown death"? I read about it on a Toyota forum once and I believe it referred to Castrol Syntec as the culprit. I'm not sure what the deal was, but I believe there was excessive sludinging/varnish. Has anyone else heard of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back