Just sold my 2021 Mini Cooper S 2 Door Hardtop to CarMax……

Bought it new in August of 2020. We always wanted one as we currently own a 2012 Fiat 500 with 200,000 trouble free miles. We just never fell in love with the Mini and decided to shop it around. We paid 28K and no tax because we traded a Jeep which we got 28K for. So we didn’t have to pay tax. Our highest price was from Vroom for $31,700 but after reading so many horror stories about them we decided not to use them. Grabbed the title and headed to CarMax and arrived just as they opened. Extremely friendly staff and we were in and out in less that an hour with a check for $31,000. Great experience 👍

Carmax is the easiest to sell to IMO, I've sold them several cars. Carvana is not too bad, like you I've not heard good things about Vroom. My son sold his Cherokee to Vroom and while he did get his money the process was not smooth and took nearly a month.

Bought it new in August of 2020. We always wanted one as we currently own a 2012 Fiat 500 with 200,000 trouble free miles. We just never fell in love with the Mini and decided to shop it around. We paid 28K and no tax because we traded a Jeep which we got 28K for. So we didn’t have to pay tax. Our highest price was from Vroom for $31,700 but after reading so many horror stories about them we decided not to use them. Grabbed the title and headed to CarMax and arrived just as they opened. Extremely friendly staff and we were in and out in less that an hour with a check for $31,000. Great experience 👍
Man that was a back, back, back home run! Good for you.

Can't beat that deal. Are you planning to buy something else?

Can't beat that deal. Are you planning to buy something else?
No just thinning the herd. My GF just bought a new Wrangler and I’m driving a 2012 Fiat. I’m retired and thought I’d take advantage of this crazy market.

Last edited:
My one Vroom experience went fine. It is the most uncomfortable setup for sure as you have to send the title without getting paid. My only complaint is the communication was lackluster. Otherwise i got my money and had no issues along the way.

BUT for $700 difference i still would have sold to Carmax.

My one Vroom experience went fine. It is the most uncomfortable setup for sure as you have to send the title without getting paid. My only complaint is the communication was lackluster. Otherwise i got my money and had no issues along the way.

Just had a conversation with a friend that has been in the car business for 50 years and he has never seen anything like the current market 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
i was a little worried about not getting paid right away
I got the check in the mail within 24 hours of when my vehicle was picked up. Not advocating for Vroom or anything, just sharing my experience.

Unless the offer is much higher I would still prefer to sell to Carvana or Carmax since I like their approach better.

Congrats...
I bailed on Vroom too and went with Carvana as they paid the most and on the spot...
Vroom bothers me a bit...you need to go against all your principals and hope you don't get the shaft...

Congrats...
I bailed on Vroom too and went with Carvana as they paid the most and on the spot...
Vroom bothers me a bit...you need to go against all your principals and hope you don't get the shaft...
CarMax was 20 minutes from my house and I was in and out in 45 minutes.

Back