Just serviced my "unserviceable" Tuff torq K51

Status
Not open for further replies.
No pullin the fenders isn't possible, at least on my LT1050, its the whole rear frame section, it would be alot of dis-assembly. Plus you ned the axle out, to be able to turn it over and drain.

I have just replaced the thrust bearing in my tuff torq k46 trans. I must have gotten something wrong when I reassembled it as the drive is now reversed ie. goes faster in reverse than forwards. As there wasn't a service manual available ( perhaps some-one can tell me where to find one)all I had to work from was an exploded view from the spare parts web page.Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong.

5 years and nearly 300 hours later, it's time to do this job again. How time flies!

Not looking forward to this, but the fact that this transaxle is still working well means this work is worth it.

Also have to replace some steering parts this spring--after 13 years of use, some things are starting to get a little loose.

Originally Posted By: gd9704
So who determines what "the life" of this transmission is? Who defines what "high quality oil is?" The bean counters at JD?
They do this so they can claim that their ________ (car, boat, airplane, lawn tractor) needs less preventative maintenance than "the other guys". It's purely a marketing ploy to fool the gullible into thinking the machine will last forever and need no maintenance, so it won't cost them anything to operate other than fuel. It also means they can build it for less cost, but keep the price the same, which means greater profits. When the unit DOES break, Joe Gullible Six-Pack will just shrug and buy a new one. It's a win-win for the manufacturer and a lose-lose for the savvy consumer.

Remember, when they use words like "lubed for life" they are referring to the life of the warranty. They don't care if it lasts one minute longer.

5 years and nearly 300 hours later, it's time to do this job again. How time flies!

Not looking forward to this, but the fact that this transaxle is still working well means this work is worth it.

Also have to replace some steering parts this spring--after 13 years of use, some things are starting to get a little loose.

Those LT155s are great little tractors, and it is certainly worth it to keep it going.

For the steering parts, I would try this site:

http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Model-LT155-Lawn-Tractor-Parts.html

thumbsup2.gif

I serviced my K61 TT several years ago with Mobil1 15w50 as well thinking I would never have to do it again, but I'm now thinking I might do it again this year.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I serviced my K61 TT several years ago with Mobil1 15w50 as well thinking I would never have to do it again, but I'm now thinking I might do it again this year.

Sadly, Mobil 1 doesn't make EP oil in 15w-50 anymore. This time around I'm going to use M1 EP 10w-30....it's what viscosity TT calls for, so it should be okay.

Originally Posted By: gman2304

Sadly, Mobil 1 doesn't make EP oil in 15w-50 anymore. This time around I'm going to use M1 EP 10w-30....it's what viscosity TT calls for, so it should be okay.

Ooops--looking at my notes, they originally used 10w-30, but not call for 5w-50 synthetic.

I have a toro 420 ztr with zt-2200 Hydro-Gear transmissions,"unserviceable"
with 340 hours. Left side was not pulling like it should, plus making a noise.
It had vent hoses on each transmission so i thought i could vacuum it out,the
hose would not go down far enough. Checking around they said the left one is the
first to go and price was about 600.00. Then looking the unit over i was not about
to pull this thing apart.
I ended up drilling and taping the hole for a #10 bolt and drained 48 oz of oil and it holds 52 oz of 20-50 oil, i ended up using mobil 1 15-50 synthetic,bled it and it worked
as good as new. By the way the used oil was nasty...........Gordon

Well, my TT transaxle got it's second oil change. I didn't have as many hours as I thought--only 516. I ended up using M1 0w-40. The old oil wasn't as used looking as the first time I did the job--but it did have a slight amount of metallic glitter in it. The tranny feels good and strong now, and not quite as much noise as before the change.

Also replaced the steering shaft and sector, now the steering is back to how it was new--that super tight turning radius is back.

Should be good for a while--can't believe this machine is 13 years old already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back