Just Sent in A Sample of My Mobil1/ Redline Home Brew....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I was given the green light to mix Mobil1 and Redline from Dave at Redline I've tried running a mixture of the oils for 5500 rpms. I just sent in my sample, hope to have results in a week or so.

I ran 3.5 quarts Mobil1 and 1 Quart of Redline 10w-30, added about 1/4 quart in the 5500 kms. I figured the mix would bring the Moly count up to about 200 ppms as well as some of the other AW's. I'm currently running straight Mobil1 10w-30 and I will be running Redline straight after that for comparisons. This is on a Turbo 2.4 L Dodge with about 13,000 kms on the engine. Lookig forward to the results. Call me crazy but I think it will work decently.

It will be interesting. My guess is that the Redline/Mobiol combo won't do any better than the Mobil 1. However-having said that, the mix could possibly offer a greater margin of safety under very hard driving conditions or extreme engine temperatures.
fruit.gif

2 issues. This UOA may look worse because the esters in redline may have cleaned out old wear bits. A second shot with this mix may have told us more. I bet this mix cures the higher iron seen from MI alone. Schaeffers add seems to do this and I bet the esters ability to stay put on the valve train and climb will do the same.

I am guessing it will do better then standard M1. M1 is usualy in need of more AW/EP additives. M1 is also usualy better when some solvency is added. Redline can do booth of these things. I do wournder though if 1 qt. is enough. I am thinking that graduly increaseing the amount of Redline in the crank case until it is 100% Redline would be a better why to test this out. Examble 1 st test 1qt. of redline the rest M1. Second time around 2qts. of Redline the rest M1. Third test 3Qts. Redline the rest M1. Foourth test all Redline.

quote:

Originally posted by goodvibes:
2 issues. This UOA may look worse because the esters in redline may have cleaned out old wear bits.

That shouldn't be an issue here though, since his engine is still relatively new.

quote:

... the esters in redline may have cleaned out old wear bits.

I called Redline to see if a quart mixed into my crankcase would help clean things out and their tech person said that their oil really is not going to clean up old deposits. I think there must be only certain esters that clean engines.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

quote:

... the esters in redline may have cleaned out old wear bits.

I called Redline to see if a quart mixed into my crankcase would help clean things out and their tech person said that their oil really is not going to clean up old deposits. I think there must be only certain esters that clean engines.

seems like we get all kinds of conflicting information about Redline Oil, it is definitely the most intriguing oil on the market, we would all love to know more about it.

The reason I used a bit of Redline is to help reduce iron wear if at all possible, hoping a couple hundred ppms of moly and other AW's might help. I also like the anti-foaming properties in Redline as my engine has no oil pan baffling whatseover and I believe it doesnt even have a windage tray. I'd really love to run Redline 100% but right now I am committed to 5000 km oil changes to help preserve my warranty requirements. Redline is a bit too rich for my blood at 5000 kms OCI's, so I figures a mixture with Mobil1 might be a good compromise. Never know until you try it, looking forward to the results.

[ June 01, 2004, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Idrinkmotoroil ]

Idrinkmotoroil, have you considered the Mola-Brew? It is more reasonable then running Redline to sweeten the oil. Pick any decent oil M1,GC,Durron etc and then add Mola-Brew. It will increase the AW/EP additive plus the solvency of the oil! Nuetra133 and LC bought in gallon size and dived up would greatly decrease cost! It will also alter the oil additive package in a less noticable way so it is stealthy in the event that you ever have warranty issue. Best of all you can use LC by it's self to keep the engine clean.

John Could you repeat he mola-brew formula? I have not been able to find it using the search feature. Thank You.

Regardless of Redlines intent, the esters in redline should do a pretty good job of cleaning or at least lifting bits by displacment with its afinity for metal but as Patman pointed out, there shouldn't be much to displace. Can't wait for the resuts.

JohnB, the Mola Brew sounds pretty good, sounds like one Terry D. was recommending a while back. I wouldnt mind trying it out but I just have to access all the ingredients, which is harder to do up here as compared to the US. It would be nice if I could just pick up the stuff locally instead of mail order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back