Just run M1 0w-40 Euro .....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not worrying about warranties or a slight MPG hit is there any reason to not to standardize and run Mobil One 0W-40 Euro across my fleet of seven "standard - non exotic" cars and trucks? The highest oil spec car that we own requires VW 502.00/505.00 and with M1 0W-40 Euro being less than $23.00 (5 qt) at Wally World it's pretty economical and would make stocking oil in the garage much easier. Typically I run 5k to 7.5k OCI's depending on the vehicle.

- Ford Expedition Ecoboost DI 3.5l twin turbo V6
- Ford Escape Ecoboost DI 2.0l turbo I-4
- Ram 1500 PI 3.6l V-6
- Honda Ridgeline DI 3.5l V-6
- Nissan Titan DI 5.6l V-8
- VW Jetta DI 1.4l turbo I-4
- Mazda - Mazda2 TB 1.5l I-4

(If I had to pick just one) ........ 5W30 SN Plus. You want a low Calcium product.
Just my opinion and have no information on what each of your owners manuals states.

Perhaps you should have listed the major viscosity recommendation inside the owners manual, next to each of your vehicle listings.

Last edited:
The 'regular' M1 0W-40 is still a high-Calcium detergent formula, and it may be a problem for your DI engines.

If you HAVE to standardize to one oil, a D1G2 5W-30 would come the closest to covering everything. I think even the VW could live with it at 5K-7K intervals.

Originally Posted by Boomer
With the VW DI engine, you want the 5W-40!

No, you want an oil that carries VW 502 00 approval - like M1 0W-40.

OP, I'd happily run M1 0W-40 in all your vehicles if they were mine.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

I'll second that. It's a stout oil and if it were a smidge thinner it would be a 0w-30 and you wouldn't get any pushback from the naysayers.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

+1

OP: I ran M1 0W-40 Euro oil for several years in my turbo GDI Optima (w/4K OCI) but found that my Polaris UOAs I began to use due to concerns with Blackstone Fuel dilution figures showed that the M1 oil not only sheared down pretty quickly but also oxidated far too fast compared to Castrol Edge 0W-40 Euro oil. That's why I switched. Never had a problem with either oil. Both are about the same price in 5Qt jugs and Wallyworld/Amazon. YMMV.

So I guess if it were me, I'd switch to all Castrol Edge 0W-40 for your applications.

Last edited:
All the posters favoring 0W40 in all your vehicles are right and all the oil scientists manufacturing low Calcium and high Magnesium in these turbo and DI oils are all wrong.

Take your pick?........ oil forum members or professional oil scientists?
The scientists would probably say to run 0W40 in that VW, but not in the others you listed.

Last edited:
I think thats a bit too far out

You've got a grip of rigs that want 20, so it would seem to me that some X 30 would be your universal choice.

20 rigs with pressure based VVT may not react as they should with 40 in them.

UD

For those worried about calcium, you could standardize to a high magnesium E6 HDEO, and that might even be semi-suitable for the VW, though the approved lube would still be most suitable for it.

Mobil 1 ESP or Rotella Multi Vehicle.

Both 5w-30 but very thick for a 30.

Rotella MV is SN PLUS certified too! I don't know about ESP, but it has low calcium too and should be fine for LSPI as well.

Out of curiosity, how does PUP 0W-40 compare to what the OP is looking at? Sure is pricey, Not a hijack, but the OP has a good thread going and for sake of discussion just wondering how the PUP stacks up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back