Just replaced my cabin filters and regretting it

I tried an STP charcoal CAF when I could not source the OEM (non charcoal activated filter) and noticed far fewer pleats to the filter...I cannot report any benefit to the charcoal filter but it held up fine in use but was replaced when needed with another OEM...

Bill

I tried the charcoal filter once in my 2006 Accord, airflow was noticeably reduced. Switched back to OEM immediately.

Look, I don’t think cabin filters are a bad idea. If someone can design one that doesn’t require me wrapping my ankles around the head rest while I stick my head into the foot well to remove the glove compartment in order to get my hands on it I would love to have one. My 2012 Versa came from the factory with an empty cabin filter housing, no filter! I guess the poor sap at the end of the assembly line said “No way!”
Not sure about all Honda models but I can replace mine in 1 minute, really.

Interesting that if you use the expensive HEPA filter in your house (furnace filter), it is rated for smoke and odors. No charcoal. I find it does get rid of cooking odors for 6 months until I get a new one.

HEPA filters are very restrictive, though. Not a problem in a house, but much more noticeable in a car, a smaller area with less air circulating.

Bosch makes HEPA cabin filters, and noticeable restriction in airflow has been onserved with them.

HEPA filters are very restrictive, though. Not a problem in a house, but much more noticeable in a car, a smaller area with less air circulating.

Bosch makes HEPA cabin filters, and noticeable restriction in airflow has been onserved with them.

I had to throw out the Bosch HEPA because the car couldn't defrost the windows fast enough and it became a safety issue

There are plenty of alternatives that work almost as well as HEPA but have a much lower pressure drop.

Mann FreciousPlus
Mahle CareMetix
Corteco micronAir

If willing to order from overseas, more interesting options come up. These models for my Honda (OEM: 80291-T5R-A01) are able to filter PM2.5:
Denso
Bosch
Mlitfilter

I've been ordering the Mlitfilter because they show the air flow is similar to the simplest filter. They also say carbon is a gimmick because it doesn't last long so it's not added to their filters.

1608406618391.png

Air quality test:

First time I ever heard someone refer to OEM Denso as taking the cheap way out.
he must mean DENSO Aftermarket parts, if he bought the true DENSO OEM Honda CAF anywhere from $23-$35 depending, at $5 it would would have been the deal of the century

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
First time I ever heard someone refer to OEM Denso as taking the cheap way out.

I picked up an OEM Denso for my 2005 Accord, and it was suspiciously flimsy. Cheap, but flimsier than the one I removed.
thats probably the ROCKAUTO aftermarket parts DENSO, i bought one for my 2006 Accord from Rockauto i noticed it was flimsier than the previous CAF i had too, although i seems to do the job so far, the price was right tho

I run the tube up the drip hose and flush out all the debris once a year. Bought a kit from Napa years ago, using whatever cleans hvac.
i bought a AC Kit from SUBURU for $16 has the Evap. cleaner/ and hose plus a small can of deodorizer for the intake cowl vent, i think its the WURTH brand with a Subie sticker on it, worked great no more old sock smell for months now. i didnt think it would ever go away

When cars first started being fitted with CAF they were only available from OEM and were quite expensive. I started buying big pleated house furnace filters and cutting them down to fit the CAF box. It worked fine and the cost was minimal. Now I just buy the cheap ones from Amazon.

I did notice a difference when using the Fram ones from Walmart. Odors were gone. Some people claim they are too restrictive and overwork the blower so I went away from them. They are usually nearing the $15 mark in most models.
Fram is good but people not get used to change interval for filter with good filtration, in japan this is 10k kms maintenance item, something like your oil filter that to be changed every engine oil change

Tale it off vent and use recirc.
Not recommended for extended periods. Should not use recirc for more than 5 mins or so. Will get mould build up and fumes will build up inside the car. Cars are extremely air tight.

Just a couple of extra points. All BMW micro filters are carbon. They also have a particle sensor that will automatically turn on recirc mode (if set to auto) if it detects high particulate outside, like driving behind some diesels. But it will switch back as soon as the air outside is cleaner. Right in the owners manual it warns not to use recirc for more than 5 mins at a time.

Fram is good but people not get used to change interval for filter with good filtration, in japan this is 10k kms maintenance item, something like your oil filter that to be changed every engine oil change
BMW says to replace micro filters every second oil change. I change my oil every 5k so I do my filters once a year in the fall, with OE filters.

ive been using DENSO aftermarket CAF and engine filters from ROCKAUTO both cost about $21total shipped to my home, i couldnt buy the HONDA OEM CAF for less than $25, so it works for me to use the Taiwanese made DENSO's and are holding up just fine. for a 2006 HONDA Accord 2.4l engine

Back