Just put in some TGMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I broke down and paid the extra money for this oil that everyone raves about...does anyone know what the starting TBN usually is? And is this an oil I can go 10k on? I know there has been a lot of threads started on it, but I find the time frames of the oil (when it was produced) to be all over the map. I just bought this stuff - I realize it has gone through some changes - does anyone consider it to be an extended drain type of oil?

I wouldnt consider it extended drain oil but id say 10k isfine for it..obviously depends on alot of factors, short trips etc..

Originally Posted By: Vstrom
OP didn't say what vehicle he wanted to go 10k on but Toyota allows it for many of theirs.

It's an LS460. Lexus used to recommend 5k mile oil changes, but I believe they may have extended it to 10k on synthetic, but that's up for debate. I'm old school, so 10k mile changes aren't part of my practice, but I'm willing to jump on board if the oil can handle it. I will be watching the level closely, etc, and I do mostly highway anyway.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I wouldnt consider it extended drain oil but id say 10k isfine for it..obviously depends on alot of factors, short trips etc..

Aside from Amsoil, what would you consider to be an extended drain oil? Mobil 1 EP?

Originally Posted By: doublebase
OP didn't say what vehicle he wanted to go 10k on but Toyota allows it for many of theirs.

It's an LS460. Lexus used to recommend 5k mile oil changes, but I believe they may have extended it to 10k on synthetic, but that's up for debate. I'm old school, so 10k mile changes aren't part of my practice, but I'm willing to jump on board if the oil can handle it. I will be watching the level closely, etc, and I do mostly highway anyway.

Trying to skimp on oil changes in a car that expensive is really foolish.

Originally Posted By: Doog

1994 LS400 recommended OCI is 7500 miles with dino. They dropped it to 5000 miles for LS460 ?

OCI of my LS400 since new is 6mo with dino and 12mo with synthetic, mileage wise it was about 7-8k with dino and 15-18k with syn.

The engine is still running well after 370k miles without any work in it, the valve cover gaskets are original without any leak.

You worry too much my friend. 10,000 miles for a quality synthetic is a walk in the park. Given that you do mostly highway miles and the sump being what 9 quarts makes it a no brainer for 10k oci's!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

1994 LS400 recommended OCI is 7500 miles with dino. They dropped it to 5000 miles for LS460 ?

OCI of my LS400 since new is 6mo with dino and 12mo with synthetic, mileage wise it was about 7-8k with dino and 15-18k with syn.

The engine is still running well after 370k miles without any work in it, the valve cover gaskets are original without any leak.

Yes they originally have it set at 5k mile oil changes, but I believe they have since changed it to 10,000.

Like I said, I'm a bit old school, but I'm planning on venturing into the extended drain territory.

370k miles? That's pretty impressive. The LS 400 is built like a tank - so far the LS460 is doing it's job - I do 700 miles a week with no problems.

Skimp? By going to 10k? You might be right, but everything I've read says it can be done easily. I'm just hoping the TGMO is capable.

Originally Posted By: deven
You worry too much my friend. 10,000 miles for a quality synthetic is a walk in the park. Given that you do mostly highway miles and the sump being what 9 quarts makes it a no brainer for 10k oci's!

Good to hear, but like I said, I'm old school. But I'm going to give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back