Just put in a OP gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after seeing all the posts about oils and a comment on each one at least saying how an oil pressure gauge is one of the only ways to tell if your oil is a good viscosity for your engine. I can guess it would be a way to tell if oil is getting thicker or thinner. My next gauge is a oil temp gauge but i wont have it in for a bit. So I installed it and that was a really easy task. My truck Is all american so the fittings are 3/8 npt in the block so i just got a few fittings like a tee and a bushing.

I slapped it in and mounted everything. When I started it up it read 47 psi and i drove it there about 2.5 hours prior. It eventually went down to 22.5 psi warm at idle, and would climb to 50psi when i revved it up. it only was about 2500 rpm when the bypass kicked in at 50 psi.

Also my engine has no blowby when the pcv valve is pulled and there is no leaks. So I guess everything with the oiling system is mint. With that being said and the fact of any oil being too thick at start up can I run a 0W-xx and not have to worry? Would that be better than the 5W-30 im running right now. If i got bad oil pressure with the 0w i would change it out and not run it, but do you guys think i should try it next oil change?? My next change should be in the summer so i would not get the cold start bennefit in the winter. And i have a oil pan heater and a 400W block heater and leave them plugged in all the time so my engine has at least 100 degree water and warm to the touch oil. Thanks everyone and hope the fellow canadians are having a good thanksgiving.

Ps I will be doing a 5000km UOA with my current fill and will do one with the next change to determine when to drain cause i want to do extended OCI's.

Last edited:
I wonder if a 0w-20 would be ok to try. Seems like i would have enough pressure. With all the thinner is better talk maybe I would bennefit from an all around thinner oil. Too bad the 0w-20 is an arm and a leg and not cool if i had to dump it out early.

Now you have OP Gauge you should note the pressures at cold/hot idle, city driving, highway driving ... and compare with 0W30 when you have it in your engine next spring. The oil pressure will drop a little, 10% to 20%, in all conditions. But should not be below 25 PSI at highway speed when engine speed is around 2500 RPM.

If you install the Oil Temperature Gauge before next oil change, note the oil temp in city and highway driving, how long it takes from engine starts in the morning until the oil reaches operating temp, compare those numbers with 0W30.

I'm running xW20 in my E430 for more than 3 years, the spec'ed oil is M1 0W40. I don't have either oil temp or pressure gauge, but I'm very sure the engine is much quieter with xW20 than with M1 0W40. The coolant reachs operating temperature faster with thinner oil, also it seems to run cooler at highway speed, up to 100+ MPH passing Death Valley in summer.

Just watch out for 0W20 on sale from now until next spring when you want to change oil. You may like it better than xW30 currently in your engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Now you have OP Gauge you should note the pressures at cold/hot idle, city driving, highway driving ... and compare with 0W30 when you have it in your engine next spring. The oil pressure will drop a little, 10% to 20%, in all conditions. But should not be below 25 PSI at highway speed when engine speed is around 2500 RPM.

If you install the Oil Temperature Gauge before next oil change, note the oil temp in city and highway driving, how long it takes from engine starts in the morning until the oil reaches operating temp, compare those numbers with 0W30.

Thats what I was thinking of doing. I kinda have them in my head already just from driving around today but i will write my pressure down for my whole oil use duration and i can see if they change with the age of the oil. Im really wanting to put the oil temp gauge in real quick but the wife will kill me if i spend more money today. I better wait a couple days. I wish there was some 0w-30 in dino I could run for a couple thousand km's.

So I presume you installed the gauge in your F150?
The best 0W-20 value in Canada is the Japanese 0W-20s from Toyota, Honda and Mazda.
It's about 5 bucks/L and my first choice would be the Toyota Brand 0W-20. This a a great oil, give it a try.
The big advantage is it's 200+ VI that will give you the lightest oil possible on start-up and this should be reflected in a lower cold oil pressure.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
So I presume you installed the gauge in your F150?
The best 0W-20 value in Canada is the Japanese 0W-20s from Toyota, Honda and Mazda.
It's about 5 bucks/L and my first choice would be the Toyota Brand 0W-20. This a a great oil, give it a try.
The big advantage is it's 200+ VI that will give you the lightest oil possible on start-up and this should be reflected in a lower cold oil pressure.

Hey CATERHAM Yeah I stuck it in my f-150. Im itching to put a oil temp gauge in it now. I was wondering about the toyota oil. Im not too worried about price. I just want a really really good 0w for my next change i think. Maybe a 0w-20 would be a good choice to try out since i have really good oil pressure. I can imagine the grief im gonna get when i go to the toyota dealer with my ford.

Good job with the OP gauge. They ought to go back to them for all cars. Assume your dash gauge is + or - a pound or two. A mechanical gauge is the only way to get a really accurate reading. But your gauge is fine for your uses. Its really a indicator for relative change. From cold to hot and from this oil to that oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back