Just put Castrol Syntec 5w30 (American Made) in the Neon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed my oil in my Neon to Castrol Syntec 5w-30, American Made. How good is it? Would the 0w-30 American made Syntec be any better?

You put AMERICAN made Syntec in your Neon and then post about it in the German Castrol & European Oil forum. Are you sure you put the oil in the engine and not in the gas tank?
grin.gif

G-Man II,

Had to use the American Made Syntec all the German made Syntec is gone from this area. We do have the Belgium made 5w-40 Syntec though.

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Taggs:
G-Man II,

Had to use the American Made Syntec all the German made Syntec is gone from this area. We do have the Belgium made 5w-40 Syntec though.

But why post about it in a forum dedicated to GC and other Euro oils? It's "off topic" here.

Who cares if its in the wrong forum. I'm sure if anyone cares the administrator would have moved it by now. Instead of bashing the poor guy about GC how about lets answer his question.

I personally don't use Castrol Syntec but have in the past in my Ranger. I like the way it made my engine a lot quiter during start up and just everyday running after the engine had warmed up. But now I use Mobil 1 and I am trying to use up the stock I have I have for that and then try something else. The mobil 1 seems to make engine noise especially during startup pretty noticable. Seeing Mobil 1 is pretty thin I think I may choose something like Castrol Syntec or even Quakerstate Syn. I don't know yet.

Be prepared for everyone to tell you its not really a true synthetic its only GRP III and not GRP V or GRP IV like Amsoil or Mobil 1.

Even though it is a Group III oil, it will still perform very well in 80% of all applications.

Who cares if its in the wrong forum. I'm sure if anyone cares the administrator would have moved it by now. Instead of bashing the poor guy about GC how about lets answer his question.

I agree.

I like Castrol Syntec 5W30. It ran well in my car and the UOA was good. It was very quiet vs. M1 and I actually prefer it to the "true" synthetic M1 for my application (5.3L V8). It is a good product.

The issue that most folks have with the Syntec is that Castrol charges a premium from a Grp III product, but I don't care. I think Syntec will work well for your Neon.

Then why not get another similar GIII product, and not have to pay the rip-off premium to the shysters?

Off Topic: A few weeks ago I tried out the Castrol American website oil chooser thing to see what would come up for light/medium duty American diesels, well the newer engines nothing would be listed. Tried again this week, and guess what they recommend for NA Ford PS F350 7.3L diesel all climate..... 5w 20!!! Yet go to the Australian site and they recommend the correct products for this application. To me yet another example that Castrol NA has its head planted firmly up it own rear end that I am now thinking it needs to just die as quickly as possible, one more nail in the coffin. At least shows that oil recommendations in NA are probably solely driven by CAFE and am leaning towards might as well throw most manufacturer and oil company recomendations right out the window. Ok, maybe not that bad, but at least any recomendation where they consider the geographical location other than temps take with a large grain of salt.
Rant off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back