Just purchased a reconditioned Hobart handler 190

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pretty excited to use it. I still have to add a panel box with more spaces and a 220 6-50 outlet into my garage plus run a grounding wire to my grounding rod. This is my first welder. I plan on doing a lot of work on my truck and i have a couple of projects i can now complete.

If your panel box is Square D, and you have two 15 or 20 amp breakers, (most household boxes do), you can put a tandem breaker in, and free up a space.
Two breakers occupy one space in the box, two handles, two trip indicators...
Two tandems will free up two spaces...

Get a qualified electrician to do the work, please...
220 volts will kill you instantly...

You'll love using it. I have a Handler 187 and it's been a great machine for me!

One suggestion, if your welder came with a flimsy stamped ground clamp replace it with a heavy-duty solid brass one. Mine did and it slowly lost it's clamping ability over time, and having a good ground to your workpiece is very important.

Have fun with it!

Last edited:
Nice machine. I've been doing some light fabrication with a Harbor Freight mig welder. It works surprisingly well, but I think there's a Hobart or Lincoln in my future.

Their are not many reconditioned ones out there for sale at the moment. I bought mine from amazon. I got the last one. They were selling like hotcakes. I chatted with amazon a little and managed to get $15 off the asking price. I got the welder for $515 then paid $40 sales tax with free shipping. If you ask hobart the history of the welder they will tell you. Mine was bought from northern tool and returned within 5 days of purchase to hobart because the power cord had become disconnected from the unit. When I received the welder i took the side cover off and its 100% new. No dust inside and it still has those stray styrofoam beads kicking around. I read most of the reconditioned units are units that were demo models or were returned for odd reasons. You get a 2/1/1 warranty as opposed to the 5/3/1 warranty. I figure with the reliability record of these welders i should not need any parts for a while. Overall a great deal. Amazon has the new 190 for $700 right now. I got my 190 for less than a new handler 140, currently $529.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back