Just ordered new TV in 12 yrs, wish me luck (4K HDR model)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've hem-hawed around on here before about replacing my old 2006 model 51" 1080i/720p crt rear projector dinosaur (Hitachi 51F59). Finally did it today !!!

What finally nudged me you might wonder ?

Local solid waste mgt district had a free recycle day today on televisions including old crt tube types. Normally they charge $0.45/lb for tube and DLP tv recycle fee. And my old hulk weighed about 130 lbs. But today and tomorrow it's free drop-off. So fiancee and I loaded an old 36" 4:3 aspect tube dinosaur from her house as well and the 51" rear projection relic from my place into the Forester (yes they both fit ... dang that car is versatile!!) and off I went this morning. Had to separate the mirror/screen portion from my projection set to get it into back of the Forester along with the huge and heavy 36" tube set from her spare room.

So I just finished ordering for store pickup locally today, a 2017 model TCL 4 series 55" LED flat panel set, 4K (upscaled) HDR Roku TV w/ WiFi connectivity, along with a stand. On sale for $379. I know it's not the best tv going right now, but I chose it for the following reasons: 1. I don't watch much tv, 2. TCL brand still gives you a digital QAM OTA tuner (I use an OTA antenna and stream the rest) unlike Vizio who've deleted QAM tuners from most of the tv's., and probably most importantly, 3. I'm a cheap-[censored] and $379 sounded good vs. what I'm upgrading from and that we don't watch a ton of tv anyhow.

I replaced a 2010 - 37" LG with a TCL 49S405 about 6 months ago. I used my old TV mount but had to cut off about 4" to make it work but I'm very happy with it. Let me know if you want to start out with my settings.

We're perfectly happy with our 49" TCL HD TV we got last year. The picture does need some tweaking out of the box but beyond that it was a bargain and the built-in Roku interface is great.

Huge upgrade, enjoy
smile.gif

I'm sure you already know this (it's your purchase after all), but the TCL 4-series has been consistently rated one of the televisions that punches well above it's price class.

I think you made a great choice.

Warstud and Bottom_feeder, please do share your settings. It does appear to need a bit of picture settings calibration. I've already turned contrast down a lot.

You'll love the TCL tv, I hung one a few months ago in my bedroom and it gives my LG tv a run. Beautiful picture and good sound quality for a LED tv

A friend of mine bought an LG 4K and didn't like the picture.
He took it back and got a TCL 4K and loves it.

LG is supposed to be a level above TCL but maybe not anymore.
When I was researching T.V.'s TCL always was at the top of the ratings for budget T.V.'s.

I wound up with a Samsung because we watch a lot of T.V. and I wanted the best picture I could get.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Warstud and Bottom_feeder, please do share your settings. It does appear to need a bit of picture settings calibration. I've already turned contrast down a lot.

Have you turned on the HDR?

Originally Posted by marine65

Have you turned on the HDR?

Humm... far as I know it's automatic (?...) My Playstation 4 is showing that it detected HDR capability on the tv but I've no idea if it's activated or not. I don't see any option in the settings to turn HDR on and off.

Originally Posted by marine65
A friend of mine bought an LG 4K and didn't like the picture.
He took it back and got a TCL 4K and loves it.

LG is supposed to be a level above TCL but maybe not anymore.
When I was researching T.V.'s TCL always was at the top of the ratings for budget T.V.'s.

I wound up with a Samsung because we watch a lot of T.V. and I wanted the best picture I could get.

https://www.tclusa.com/about-us/our-story

"TCL is vertically integrated, which means we make every component that goes into the TV and control the entire production process. We are one of only three TV brands worldwide that are fully vertically integrated."

Above may be a factor, or may not, but it sounds good.

So I just finished ordering for store pickup locally today, a 2017 model TCL 4 series 55" LED flat panel set, 4K (upscaled) HDR Roku TV w/ WiFi connectivity, along with a stand. On sale for $379. I know it's not the best tv going right now, but I chose it for the following reasons: 1. I don't watch much tv, 2. TCL brand still gives you a digital QAM OTA tuner (I use an OTA antenna and stream the rest) unlike Vizio who've deleted QAM tuners from most of the tv's., and probably most importantly, 3. I'm a cheap-[censored] and $379 sounded good vs. what I'm upgrading from and that we don't watch a ton of tv anyhow.

I bought the same TCL from Costco so that doubled the manufacturer warranty, a plus. Have had it for about 15-months now and no major problems to report. Although, there have been about two occurrences where the screen comes on blank after powered on. But nothing a simple reboot at the power plug didn't solve. Reasonable picture for the price. Integrated Roku, so no extra remotes or clutter, way cool. Also, the kids keep misplacing the remote which is easily solved with the Roku phone app. This is a great budget TV indeed!

Originally Posted by Warstud
Anyone use a memory card in there TCL ?

I may get a decent capacity USB stick to enable their feature where you can pause and replay up to 90 minutes of live broadcast on the OAT antenna input, since I don't use cable tv.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Anyone use a memory card in there TCL ?

I may get a decent capacity USB stick

That's what I meant...I was wondering if the TV guide is stored in the USB stick when Wifi isn't hooked up ?

Here's a website that does a good job of testing, reviewing, and giving settings that work best for individual TV's, for best picture accuracy.

Your TV tested and reviewed: TCL S405

Depending on how much you watch TV, you will see your electric bill go down now that you got rid of your rear projection TV.

When we dumped our 2009 Panisonic Plasma for a new LED we went from using 750 watts for the Plasma every evening to 175 for the LED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back