Just ordered my 8th router in 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I also third the suggestion for keeping this kind of gear on a UPS. Power can definitely be a factor in lifespan and reliability.

Why would it matter?

Most are 12VDC & are operated off of a switching power supply, which supplies perfect power adjusted every few microseconds.

I don't think a UPS would help, other than for outages.

Because it leads to shorter life of these adapters, which is often the source of the unreliability. I could point you to literally thousands upon thousands of BELL provided 2-Wire units as examples. Most of these switching power supplies are cheap Chinese units that are not robustly built in the first place. Unreliable AC feeds lead to shorter lifespans of these units, as I've observed first-hand. The ASUS WL-500W and the WL-566 were both prone to premature adapter failure and when the adapters began to fail output became quite a far cry from perfect power. This would initially lead to flaky operation and eventually the devices wouldn't even complete a POST. Often, a new adapter would fix them, but there were many cases where the adapter caused failure of the actual unit itself.

My experience has been having these cheap adapters on a UPS that prevents them from seeing as much input variance leads to them lasting significantly longer.

Agreed.

You can buy an APC ups from anywhere from $50 to $200 for the home user.

They even sell a little $40 one just for routers and home modems.

Every piece of gear at work is behind a APC ups of some kind. I started doing this at my home and have not had a failure since. I also run somewhat cheap consumer WIFI equipment.

Something's FUBAR. Difficult to diagnose from a distance however. If it were one or even one brand, I'd say cheap, plug in power supplies, but across multiple brands? Unless they all wound up with bad components from a bad lot....

Just for grins, what's your AC line voltage? Also, check hot to neutral, hot to gnd, and neutral to gnd voltages. My '110VAC' line voltage is more like 125 - 127VAC. This causes excessive power dissipation in some devices, like the HK Citation 7 SSP I restored & repaired a few years back.

If you have an outlet tester, plug it in. All should be GREEN. You could also have a bad outlet itself.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My last router lasted 16 years. Something is seriously wrong. ed

I agree, I've had my Linsys made by Cisco for going on 12 years. I have the Qwest router in bridge mode so I can use the better Linsys router for wi-fi, it has better range than the Qwest.

Lots of routers that get flakey after a few years is mainly the software. Try to hard reset it and go again, I'd bet it will work for a while.

I been running a NetGear DD-WRT router setup for 7 years now, couple of minor hiccups but since the system is so open nothing a couple of shell scripts to customize to my needs. FYI, my router has not been restarted in 519 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back