Just ordered a set of tires from Tire Rack-Good-bye stock crap

Status
Not open for further replies.
were they really THAT bad, or were you just trying to drive a non-sport designed economy car too hard? (an 's' package doesnt make it sporty)

I have never had tire issues so long as the conditions werent too bad (deep snow, ice, etc), and the tread depth was OK.

those triple tread tires are really good... put them on my mother's plymouth breeze, and they are wonderful.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
were they really THAT bad, or were you just trying to drive a non-sport designed economy car too hard? (an 's' package doesnt make it sporty)

I have never had tire issues so long as the conditions werent too bad (deep snow, ice, etc), and the tread depth was OK.

those triple tread tires are really good... put them on my mother's plymouth breeze, and they are wonderful.

JMH

grin.gif

We have the LE.
tongue.gif

My wife is complaining that she doesn't like the way the car handles on wet roads.
Haven't experienced any snow with these stock tires yet.
I've heard they're pretty bad in light snow.
The stock tires are cheapos.
$54 ea.
Ratings stink.
These Tripletreds have great ratings in all catagories on many sites.
It's nice to read your Mom's car has 'em and they're very good.
smile.gif

I also just trashed my OEM Continentals on my Taurus after 54k. Absolutely WORST tires EVER. The darn belts were separating away from the sidewall.

I went with 4 Goodyear TripleTreads and couldn't be happier. My mileage stayed the same and the ride is a bit smoother. The only con I can think of is that there is a bit of sway in my back end now while turning or changing lanes.

I'll rush to Colt's defense on this one. I very well understand how much of a letdown worthless OEM tires can be. My new, bye-bye OEM tires arrived from TireRack Wednesday, and went on yesterday. Very different cars (mine's a G35 sedan) but similar concept. OEMs (GY Eagle RS-As were awful. Although they retained decent dry grip, they had started to howl badly and the car felt like it was rolling on ice once the road got wet. Downright scary. The new tires, V-rated Avon M550s are awesome and quiet. I'd almost forgotten how good this car feels with great tires installed. Hope they last.

Colt,

My 05 Corolla CE (sigs, where are you?) came stock with 185/65-15 Good Year Integrity's. I replaced them this spring with a set of Yokohama TRZ's size 195/65-15. And I bet that my car now drives/rides/handle/wet better than your LE did on the OEM tires. The difference is that large.

The car is light for that tire size so I settled to running them at no more than 30 psi front/28 rear. I don't see the need to run them any higher and comfort would suffer on our third world roads.

All taxes/ mounting/balancing came to $515.00 Cdn. The better Michelins and Good Years would go for a bit more.

I have a set of dedicated wheels/snow tires, so winter is not an issue as long as they can handle wet roads.

quote:

Originally posted by Minou:
Colt,

My 05 Corolla CE (sigs, where are you?) came stock with 185/65-15 Good Year Integrity's. I replaced them this spring with a set of Yokohama TRZ's size 195/65-15. And I bet that my car now drives/rides/handle/wet better than your LE did on the OEM tires. The difference is that large.

The car is light for that tire size so I settled to running them at no more than 30 psi front/28 rear. I don't see the need to run them any higher and comfort would suffer on our third world roads.

All taxes/ mounting/balancing came to $515.00 Cdn. The better Michelins and Good Years would go for a bit more.

I have a set of dedicated wheels/snow tires, so winter is not an issue as long as they can handle wet roads.

Minou
I'm in NJ.
Never liked the stock Bridgestone Insignia's SE 200's.IMO like most OEM tires,they're crap.
Check the ratings on that tires at #41.
Just terrible.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=AS

The Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds have great reviews and are said to do well on ice,wet roads and snow.
Total cost for 195/65/15's with bal and install will be approx $450.
I have the Bridgestone's sold for $75 which almost pays fopr my install.
I always run 30lbs on the Toyota and whatever is recommended on my other vehicles.

Indeed, the Triple Tred might be the better choice if you don't have winter tires as it fares better in snow than the Comfortred, that I would have chosen because it is even quieter and more comfortable.

The Avid TRZ doesn't yet have a lot of miles reported but sits on the second spot in the standard touring tires category;

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ST

As I said, a great set of tires so far except maybe 2 things;
1- Noise comfort is good but not great. Some have reported that it improves after some mileage has been put on the tires and I have less than 1K mile on them. And a Corolla is by no means insulated like a Lexus, even a Camry.
2- Steering is a bit loose on center at highway speed, but again, the Corolla has a slow steering ratio that no tires can quicken I guess, no matter how good they are.

I mentionned inflation pressures because a fair number of members on the Corolla forums inflate their tires at 35 or more PSI and I just don't see the need to. At 28 PSI my rear tires still look perfectly round at the contact patch. I'm afraid they would wear in the middle with any more PSI.

The problem with the el-cheapo OEM tires is that the do fairly well and are fairly silent on good pavement, when new, during the test drive (who test drives cars in bad weather?). It's once you drive on them in all possible conditions and that they start to deteriorate rapidly afterwards that you realise how bad these OEM tires are and how much a better set of quality tires will improve the overall behavior of your car.

For obvious reasons, manufacturers like Honda, Toyota or GM are unwilling to say to their customers who buy Accords, Civics, Corollas, Camry's, Impala's, etc. "Well, for an additionnal $200., we replace those rim protectors with high quality tires of your choice between a choice of, say, 5 different brands or categories and make your car feel like you spent 2K more for it."

This is my thoughts on how an el-cheapo 05 CE Corolla like mine now probably feels more expensive and secure on the road than an LE or S with stock tires.

BTW, Colt, I have a set of US Corolla S (canadian models come standard with alloys) 5 spokes hub caps that I bought on e-Bay. Brand new in the box. I also found an LE center console armrest for cheap. Now, I need to get rid of my Integrity's with only 3000 km on them to pay for those goodies.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Minou:
Indeed, the Triple Tred might be the better choice if you don't have winter tires as it fares better in snow than the Comfortred, that I would have chosen because it is even quieter and more comfortable.

The Avid TRZ doesn't yet have a lot of miles reported but sits on the second spot in the standard touring tires category;

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ST

As I said, a great set of tires so far except maybe 2 things;
1- Noise comfort is good but not great. Some have reported that it improves after some mileage has been put on the tires and I have less than 1K mile on them. And a Corolla is by no means insulated like a Lexus, even a Camry.
2- Steering is a bit loose on center at highway speed, but again, the Corolla has a slow steering ratio that no tires can quicken I guess, no matter how good they are.

I mentionned inflation pressures because a fair number of members on the Corolla forums inflate their tires at 35 or more PSI and I just don't see the need to. At 28 PSI my rear tires still look perfectly round at the contact patch. I'm afraid they would wear in the middle with any more PSI.

The problem with the el-cheapo OEM tires is that the do fairly well and are fairly silent on good pavement, when new, during the test drive (who test drives cars in bad weather?). It's once you drive on them in all possible conditions and that they start to deteriorate rapidly afterwards that you realise how bad these OEM tires are and how much a better set of quality tires will improve the overall behavior of your car.

For obvious reasons, manufacturers like Honda, Toyota or GM are unwilling to say to their customers who buy Accords, Civics, Corollas, Camry's, Impala's, etc. "Well, for an additionnal $200., we replace those rim protectors with high quality tires of your choice between a choice of, say, 5 different brands or categories and make your car feel like you spent 2K more for it."

This is my thoughts on how an el-cheapo 05 CE Corolla like mine now probably feels more expensive and secure on the road than an LE or S with stock tires.

BTW, Colt, I have a set of US Corolla S (canadian models come standard with alloys) 5 spokes hub caps that I bought on e-Bay. Brand new in the box. I also found an LE center console armrest for cheap. Now, I need to get rid of my Integrity's with only 3000 km on them to pay for those goodies.
smile.gif

True.

Also can't see running higher pressure producing a harsher ride for the benefit of possibly getting slightly better gas mileage and tire wear.

Tire Rack states tires are better after I believe 500 miles or was it a 1000 miles?

As you may remember I bought the Toyota alloy wheel set up on Ebay a few weeks ago.
I remember when you bought the hubcaps.
I wound up selling my stock rims and hubcaps to a guy locally after he seen them on Ebay.
The same guy is buying the stock tires.

quote:

Originally posted by Colt:
My wife is complaining that she doesn't like the way the car handles on wet roads.

good reason... got to make the wife feel safe
smile.gif

I have to wonder if any tire can really elp that much... that is a really light car, isht it? 2500 lb maybe???

Seems that optimal hydroplaning resisitance, or better road feel on wet roads are dependent on high weight and narrow tires...

These tires are the best option... even better than the aquatread 3's whcih they replaced, which were EXCELLENT even in snow!

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:

quote:

Originally posted by Colt:

good reason... got to make the wife feel safe
smile.gif

I have to wonder if any tire can really elp that much... that is a really light car, isht it? 2500 lb maybe???

Seems that optimal hydroplaning resisitance, or better road feel on wet roads are dependent on high weight and narrow tires...

These tires are the best option... even better than the aquatread 3's whcih they replaced, which were EXCELLENT even in snow!

JMH

The snow issue was also important.

BTW
I'm only a couple of towns from you and work in Rutherford.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back