Just one more wax question.

T he guys at Collinite told me to apply Insulator wax in one direction, either vertical or horizontal. I buffed it off in a circular motion and it looked fine.
I went on you tube and a guy says to buff it either in a horizontal or vertical way. Which is the right way? Thank you Stay safe

IDK if this is the correct answer but, I don't think it matters.

However, it could be paint color dependent to avoid that swirling effect on darker colors.

Many prefer long strokes when applying & removing(vertical or horizontal) and has been one school of thought in order to avoid that swirling effect(into the paint surface) from pressure when applying by hand.

I for one, prefer to do long strokes, e.g.,
*From the windshield toward the front fascia.
*Or on the trunk, from tail light to tail light.
*On the roof, from front windshield toward the rear.
*And long horizontal strokes down the sides of the vehicle.

Many folks apply & remove in a circular motion with fine results(color dependent).

Removing the wax in one direction vs using a circular motion helps reduce swirl marks in the finish. Easier said than done!

Originally Posted by rrretiree7
T he guys at Collinite told me to apply Insulator wax in one direction, either vertical or horizontal. I buffed it off in a circular motion and it looked fine.
I went on you tube and a guy says to buff it either in a horizontal or vertical way. Which is the right way? Thank you Stay safe

If the clear coat has not been corrected, use long strokes vertical with the car. If the clear coat has been corrected, circular is fine as long as the pad/micro fiber is clean. Dual action polishers work with this method. Swirls are mirco abrasions when dirt/grit is introduced to the clear coat.

Back