Just one more Nufinish question....

Status
Not open for further replies.
...for those who use it,how well does it hold up in the winter?

AND, can I use a quick wax spray (Lucas, Meg's) over it during the winter as well?

This past year I gave my car it's first wash of the season in later March. It didn't bed super well, but it only had one coat of Nufinish, topped with one more coat of Carnauba. I was pretty impressed that it beaded at all!

I've done one coat of Nufinish on my gf's new-to-her Civic, and will do another before it gets too cold. I'll do the same to my Subie when I get a chance. I'm not expecting to have to do anything at all until next year.

I'm just an amateur waxer, btw. I care, but not that much. haha

I live in Northern Ontario where the winter are pretty harsh with abundant road salt. I find that 2 coats of Nu finish applied in the Fall, is the only coating that will still bead water the following Spring. There is no problem applying other waxes over top if you wish.
...Scotty

Originally Posted By: scotty61
I live in Northern Ontario where the winter are pretty harsh with abundant road salt. I find that 2 coats of Nu finish applied in the Fall, is the only coating that will still bead water the following Spring. There is no problem applying other waxes over top if you wish.
...Scotty

I agree with this completely. TWO coats just to catch the small areas you may have missed initially.

I was turned off the Nufinish years ago, but read so many good things on this site about it I'm almost tempted to give it another try. Does it contain any cleaners in it or anything to bring back dull paint? Or do I need to apply something like Color-X first. It would be used on a beater so I don't want to go crazy with clay, cleaners, polish etc. Thanks!

demarpaint,

It does contain cleaners and will remove oxidation/dead paint. Try a test spot on a worst case area to check the results.

As far as cleaners go Nu-Finish actually get rid of scratches on my car plus not long ago a black car left some paint on my white quarter panel in a parking lot..I wanted to see if NU-Finish would get it off and it did.

Someone here said awhile back [do not recall who] when you add another layer of Nu-Finish over the recent Nu-Finish you end up taking off the old Nu-Finish that was on there so you end up with the one coat anyway..Not sure how true that is..I do notice though when I put 2 coats of Nu-Finish on instead of one coat it does not last any longer then one coat which is about 6 months.

Most products like N-F, should hold up better during the winter months than during the summer months. It's the cold that helps bond the product to the paint. It's the ((HOT)) temps and the ))SUN(( that destroy the protection of the product on painted surfaces.

Then again, how will the vehicle be cared for during the winter months? Strong detergent car washes will slowly remove the protedction from the surface.

Nu-Finish should hold up quite well although any extra quick detail type product after washing will help during the winter months as each case and vehicle will be different.

In the past when I only waxed my vehicle several times a year (and just prior to winter as well), the paint shine didn't hold up as long over the years as using a just quick detail type product after "EACH" wash. And it doesn't take much time/effort to mist a whole vehicle after washing.

I keep my vehicles into their teens(15-18 yrs) and thus far, by using only quick detail type products/wax-as-you-dry type products, even my 10 year old vehicle still shines like new compared to my other vehicles that I have had in the past(using only wax/silicones several times/year). And I'm making the ~10 year comparison between vehicles.

Today, I would rather quick mist my vehicles after each wash, than to wax/remove 4-5 times/year(with weekely washing/drying ONLY between waxes).

Yes, I do keep some wax/silicone products around and have recently tried and given my reviews on...Eagle One Gel Wax(E1GW)

Yeah, that makes sense...

Both cars are now waxed with Nu Finish. They are not as shiney as they normally are ( I use Meg's protects), but I feel their paint/clear coats will be better protected this year.

I'm hoping by adding some quick mist wax to them, it might offer a little more protection and some shine....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Yeah, that makes sense...

Both cars are now waxed with Nu Finish. They are not as shiney as they normally are ( I use Meg's protects), but I feel their paint/clear coats will be better protected this year.

I'm hoping by adding some quick mist wax to them, it might offer a little more protection and some shine....

Yup, I've noticed the "more plastic" look to it as well. Sure seems to hold up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back