Just one kind of Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Mobil 1 5w-30 am wondering if there is a more than one kind? I don't mean high-mileage or SUV types but I mean are there different grade regular Mobil 1 oils? Specifically, is there a difference between a bottle that says "contains supersyn" versus one that just says "fully synthetic"?

Thanks.

There is the Mobil 1 EP which is the longer drain oil with a better ad pack than regular Mobil 1.

There aren't different grades of Mobil 1, besides those obviously labeled EP or SUV... etc.

But the formulation does change over time, and those differently marketed bottles are probably manufactured at different times.

If your just looking for strait Mobil 1, no frills or extended oil change intervals, then just buy Mobil 1 - 5w30. If it says anything else on the bottle, then it isn't the regular Mobil 1. Also, regular Mobil 1 is FULL Synthetic and uses "supersyn" formula.

Now, if you're looking for longer oil change intervals, as in you would prefer to not have to change your oil as often. Then, buy Mobil 1 Extended Performance. Mobil 1 claims you can go up to 15,000 miles between oil changes. I wouldn't go that long, but Mobil claims you can... you decide.

Anything that Says MOBIL 1 is a FULL SYNTHETIC regardless of whether it's EP or SUV or whatever. If it has the "1" on it, then it is Full Synthetic.

And as for the "supersyn"... I believe that is the fancy lingo that Mobil 1 uses to describe their Mobil 1 products. I believe every Mobil 1 product will say it has supersyn in it on the back of the bottle. Someone feel free to set me straight if I messing this up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dennis_E
Thanks all. I suspected there was only one grade of straight, no-frills Mobil 1.

Cheers,
Dennis

You got it right.

Sometimes people will stumble across an old bottle of oil in a store and the label is different and of course, it may be a different formula of that oil. Someone occasionally stumbles across a bottle of Mobil 1 that has been sitting on a store shelf for 5 years. Five years ago, Mobil very well could have been using a different formula in their Mobil 1 products. That goes for any "old" bottles of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back