Just noticed that Continental road bicycle tires have date codes stamped in the sidewall.

I'm a big fan of the Continetal Gatorsklin tires for my road bike. I'm sure they're not the best, nor the worst. Nor are they the cheapest, nor the most expensive. They go on and off my rims relatively easily, seem to be reasonably puncture resistant, and they last long enough to keep me happy.

Even after owning several pair of these tires, I finally noticed that they have date codes stamped on the sidewalls. I found a vendor who claimed to be selling "2021" production tires with damaged packaging, at a $10 per tire discount. Sounds like a deal to me. I wasn't sure how they knew they were tires made in 2021, but it was a fairly large vendor, and that was good enough for me.

When I got the tires today, I got to looking, and right there it is.. stamped into the sidewall of the tire. A WW/YY production code. 17th week of 2021.

I started looking at the other Gatorskin tires that I have, and they all have it... a WW/YY code in the sidewall. Learning something new every day.

1654806336176.jpg

Looks like lawsuit protection and good inventory control. Very nice.

I'm a big fan of the Continetal Gatorsklin tires for my road bike. I'm sure they're not the best, nor the worst. Nor are they the cheapest, nor the most expensive. They go on and off my rims relatively easily, seem to be reasonably puncture resistant, and they last long enough to keep me happy.
That date code is a good tip - thanks for sharing.
I'll add that I think Conti tires are fantastic. The GP5000 is the best road bike tire I've ever ridden. Fast, great traction, and durable. Other tires like the Vittoria Corsa G+ are about as fast but nowhere near as durable or long lived. I used to race back in the 80s and have been an avid cyclist for nearly 40 years now. Tires have come a LONG way and Conti has some of the best.

Yeah, I see that. I can't quite figure out some of their nomenclature. 32mm is 1-1/4"... The Dia should be 686 though...
Of well. Thx!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220609-193117.jpg
    Screenshot_20220609-193117.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 10
Yeah, I see that. I can't quite figure out some of their nomenclature. 32mm is 1-1/4"... The Dia should be 686 though...
Of well. Thx!
Your math is right but that's now how the wheel diameter measurements work. If only the system were so logical as that!
I see you figured that out.

Back