Just learned something

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
If pilots can look at 20+ guages, maintain correct fuel/air mixture, talk on the radio, while keeping the airplane on track....

Not to minimize the skills it takes to fly a plane, but realistically if your plane drifts "off course" 3 or 4 feet left or right the consequences are...well there are no consequences. You're still on course. That's not the case on a busy two-lane road. You drift off course 3 or 4 feet at the wrong time and you're in deep doo-doo.

There are also no stop signs, yield signs, and traffic lights when flying a plane. Nor are tailgating and sudden stops a problem when flying a plane. Larry the Cable Guy jokes aside, I've never heard of a plane hitting a deer either.

In Michigan, you can get a state ID card that works the same as a driver's license in terms of identifying yourself, proving age, etc, but does not authorize you to drive a car. I would assume most states would have a similar system.

I think the key is stricter licensing and renewal laws, which, to their credit, most states are moving toward, at least on the initial licensing of young drivers. Now I wish they'd take care of the other careless people and make renewal more challenging.

Same in Ill; however, I am willing to bet the ratio of state IDs to licenses issued is likely in the thousands to one. It's cultural. If people are going to waste 3 hours in line at the DMV, they might as well get a license if they can...

How stringent are states really getting, when many elderly that shouldn't be driving are still doing so? I refuse to ride with my dad who's still out there, but try reasoning or arguing with him... but the state still renews his license every year!

Then you have the people who drive like they're on Quaaludes (or Ambien). They're just as much of a hazard as all of those who use terms like the ones you mentioned.

quote:

I think it helps if people use ear pieces - wireless or what not.

Studies I've seen show that it doesn't much much difference--many people are simply incapable of dividing their attention appropriately between talking and driving.

There is an Allstate auto insurance commercial shown on television in the New York area. It starts with car #1 stopped at a traffic light and car #2 approaching it with the driver of car #2 concentrating on his cup of coffee more than his driving. It then goes to slow motion with the narrator of the commercial telling all the safety improvements that have been made to cars and that everything in the car has been made much safer except the DRIVER. It then goes back to full speed and car #2 rear ends car #1. That about sums it up. Multi tasking does not work well in a moving automobile but multi tasking is one of the highlights of our new society.

I see it every day on my commute. From the usual makeup application to newspaper reading (what, their radio doesn't work, or are they catching up on yesterday's news?), to book reading (unabriged or cliff notes?), to electric shaving, but the guy going through flash cards last year topped them all (finals, thesis defense?).

The cops don't seem to care for anything other than speeders or DWIs (nothing wrong with that though).

People that talk on cell phones while driving have important business to take care of. You should move out of the way, or give them extra consideration. Just because they are more important than you, does not mean you have to get upset. If they don't pull out right away, when a light changes, it's just because they are involved in a conversation. Just back off a bit and give them some room. And if they can't stay in their lane, because they are dialing a new number, just be patient. After all, you're in their way. You could pull over and let them pass. It would only take you a couple of minutes to pull over, stop and then continue. If they run a red light or stop sign and you get hit by a driver trying to get out of their way, well, it would be your fault. Look at all the trouble that would cause you, getting your car banged up, a traffic ticket, and spending a lot more time being late, yourself, than if you had just pulled over, before all this.
Lets face it, if you're upset about people on their cell phones while driving, just understand, they have more important things to do than listen to you. Learn to live with it. You're not the most important person on the road, and don't you forget it.

Sometimes I wish I still had my beat-up 54 ford truck, with the rusty bumpers, etc. In order to perhaps dramatically teach them how careless tehy are being, I'd take a little rubbing fenders with some of these people, instead of dodging them like I do now.

While driving that old truck, I once had someone cut into me where my front bumper punched into their rear quarterpanel...as I braked hard, it opened up that car like a tin can. No real damage to that truck. Cop saw the whole thing and could hardly supress his laughter, the knucklehead driver got what he deserved.

As it is, now I dodge and weave out of the way, and they often don't even hear my horn...continuing on their way, unaware of their actions.

LarryL - Awesome post. Everyone has their right on the freeway. Getting upset about them going to slow is pretty silly because you can go around. I have no problem with this as it is the freedom we have in America.

I think getting upset about their bad driving = valid. Though the group is few - there are cell phone drivers that are a serious hazard due to their driving habits (changing lanes without looking, veering into lanes, going through red lights, etc...).

Why is it valid to get upset at these types of cell phone drivers? Because they pose a threat to my life and the lives of those who drive around them.

People who can drive safely while talking on a cell phone are 100% ok IMO. Problem is, not everyone can do that, LarryL.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
Larry the Cable Guy jokes aside, I've never heard of a plane hitting a deer either.

in the voice of the comic book guy:
Best....post....ever.

lol.gif
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back