Just inherited a car that hasn't been driven since 1993

As the title states, I just inherited a car that hasn't been driven since 1993.

It was my fathers car. It's a 1986 Camaro Z28. It's rather unique and that it was a prototype for the convertible models of Camaros which followed in 1987. This car means alot to me. I only drove it a few times when I lived at home in the late 80's. Dad last drove it in 1993 when he parked it for the last time.

I intend to get it back to driving condition. But I'm trying to anticipate what to expect. This is what I know.

The oil was last changed in 1990. The car had about 9,000 miles on it. I know this because it was the last time I drove it and was doing Dad a favor right before I moved out and started my adult life.

Car was last driven in 1993. Currently has 11,500 miles on it. It has 3/4 tank of fuel. It's a 305 V8. Fuel wasn't stabilized and it was Valvoline regular Dino oil that was available in 1990. I has been kept in a garage all these years.

I'm expecting to have to replaced all the rubber parts, fuel lines, fuel tank, fuel pump, carburetor, all belts.

Any advice on what else to expect? What's that fuel and oil going to look like?

Thanks! (btw my old ID on here is dman4384. Not sure why I can't access it anymore)

Fuel is going to be gross.

I would leave the oil alone if it's full until you get the car started, unless you're able to pull the distributor and prime the oil pump that way. Dirty oil lubes better than the few seconds of no oil you'd get after you change it.

Since it's carbureted I'd take a short cut and rig a temporary hose at the mechanical fuel pump, to a gallon jug, to hear it run. Once you get it going you'll notice if the water pump, rear main seal, transmission etc also decided to leak.

The gas tanks on these aren't terribly hard to pull, you'll have to drop the rear axle off its shocks, don't let the rubber brake hoses get over extended. I'm confident you can find an aftermarket one for way less than it would cost in effort to clean yours out.

Welcome back to BITOG 🎉

Last year, BITOG changed hosting to XenForo. You can message one of the mods to get access to your old account :)

For now, just start it, cross your fingers, and go from there

If the fuel tank is too bad I'd just replace it. Plan on going through everything fuel related. Parts should be easy for that car unless it requires convertible top stuff.

Ethanol was not required until after it was parked, so I bet you don't need to change the fuel tank. I would just drain it and flush with a couple of gallons of fresh fuel first and then get a couple of quadrajet fuel filters to swap out in case they get plugged. I would not run it on that old gas as varnish can cause the valves to stick in their guides. No need to change the oil before starting as others have stated, too.

After you get it running, I would just plan on going through the brakes and change out the fluids. You mostly likely don't need a new carb, but may need to put a kit in it if the needle and seat don't seal.

I’ve done exactly what you are planning to do. Several times. My advice would be to drop the gas tank, perhaps getting it drained first, and looking inside. My guess is that the inside will be a mess and your fuel level sensor will be destroyed anyway. Get your fuel system fixed first and then decide what to tackle next, as in coolant, brakes, electrical.
And don’t even think about keeping the old, dried out tires. Good luck.

As the title states, I just inherited a car that hasn't been driven since 1993.

It was my fathers car. It's a 1986 Camaro Z28. It's rather unique and that it was a prototype for the convertible models of Camaros which followed in 1987. This car means alot to me. I only drove it a few times when I lived at home in the late 80's. Dad last drove it in 1993 when he parked it for the last time.

I intend to get it back to driving condition. But I'm trying to anticipate what to expect. This is what I know.

The oil was last changed in 1990. The car had about 9,000 miles on it. I know this because it was the last time I drove it and was doing Dad a favor right before I moved out and started my adult life.

Car was last driven in 1993. Currently has 11,500 miles on it. It has 3/4 tank of fuel. It's a 305 V8. Fuel wasn't stabilized and it was Valvoline regular Dino oil that was available in 1990. I has been kept in a garage all these years.

I'm expecting to have to replaced all the rubber parts, fuel lines, fuel tank, fuel pump, carburetor, all belts.

Any advice on what else to expect? What's that fuel and oil going to look like?

Thanks! (btw my old ID on here is dman4384. Not sure why I can't access it anymore)

Do everything, here:

Some good advice here on the fluids. If memory serves the carb on this model was electric quadrajet which is more problems than worth. If stock is the desired route then get help and or advice on this. I`d be inclined to install an aftermarket fuel injection which necessitate dropping the fuel tank which should be done anyway. Sounds like an excellent and worthwhile project. Take your time and enjoy the process.

Fuel is going to be gross.

I would leave the oil alone if it's full until you get the car started, unless you're able to pull the distributor and prime the oil pump that way. Dirty oil lubes better than the few seconds of no oil you'd get after you change it.

Since it's carbureted I'd take a short cut and rig a temporary hose at the mechanical fuel pump, to a gallon jug, to hear it run. Once you get it going you'll notice if the water pump, rear main seal, transmission etc also decided to leak.

The gas tanks on these aren't terribly hard to pull, you'll have to drop the rear axle off its shocks, don't let the rubber brake hoses get over extended. I'm confident you can find an aftermarket one for way less than it would cost in effort to clean yours out.
It might have the tuned port injection. No carb.

With that length of time sitting I would go with the suggestions already made on the fuel plus pull the spark plugs and squirt a small amount of oil down the holes. Let that sit a bit.

I think @Astro14 has posted a detailed plan on starting up engines that have sat.

Do everything, here:

This. I’d borescope the cylinders too, he has another video where a few cylinders that had exhaust valves open had rust in them.

I wouldn’t even try with the gas in the tank, it’s going to look like deck stain at this point. I’d leave the oil that’s in it in there till you know it’s going to run. If it fires off then go ahead and change it. It’ll probably smoke at first till the rings free themselves back up.

Back