Just how good is Trop-artic???

Status
Not open for further replies.
With its supposed Korean GP-III base oils??? Tell me about additives, TBN, etc. as compared to other more pricey oils.

It's a very good oil and there are quite a few people on BITOG that have used it with great results. Check the UOA section for the information you are looking for by doing a search for the brand name.

The Korean refined base oils are of very high quality as they are the primary components blended for the factory fill on the majority of cars assembled in Japan. If Trop-artic is known to use Korean Grp. III, use it with confidence. FWIW.----- Old Tommy

Not really an answer to your question but I have an engine builder in my home town. He builds race engines for stock car guys (dirt track, not nascar). He is a nationally renowned engine builder and he guarantees his engines for something ridiculously long (like 10 races or something). The catch is, he will only guarantee the engine if the owner/team uses Trop Artic in it. He wont guarantee his engine with any other oil.

I find it quite odd but a fairly solid compliment to TA.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
With its supposed Korean GP-III base oils??? Tell me about additives, TBN, etc. as compared to other more pricey oils.

I used to avoid the stuff because they screwed me on a rebate about 5 years ago, but I now catch it on sale at Orschelns Farm Stores, some of which are located in your state.
The price seems to have dropped since WM stopped selling it. I've gotten several cases of the stuff within the last few months for $1.79 a quart.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: FastSUV

I used to avoid the stuff because they screwed me on a rebate about 5 years ago, but I now catch it on sale at Orschelns Farm Stores, some of which are located in your state.
The price seems to have dropped since WM stopped selling it. I've gotten several cases of the stuff within the last few months for $1.79 a quart.

amen...I get it a Sam's club by the case...seemed like it had a decent additive pkg

Isn't Trop-Artic identical to the other oils in the ConocoPhillips line with the Conoco, 76, and Kendall brands, and probably Motorcraft? Nothing wrong with them, and probably nothing special.

Is the Korean S-Oil Corp. group III base oil that ConocoPhillips particularly high quality or low quality? I'm thinking low quality due to the retail price the ConocoPhillips syn blends sell for. Mix some Group II and some cheap Group III instead of the Group II+ base oil other blenders use, get a product that performs the same, and get a marketing gimmick boost.

The word is the CP line (sans Motorcraft),uses 90% group II and 10% Korean group III.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Isn't Trop-Artic identical to the other oils in the ConocoPhillips line with the Conoco, 76, and Kendall brands, and probably Motorcraft? Nothing wrong with them, and probably nothing special.

Basically yes, from the info I have anyway.

no I have heard that the MC blend has a better additive pkg then the Trop-artic...also if the MC blend doesn't meet GM specs but the Trop-artic does then they must be different (even though made by same company)???

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Why would Motorcraft branded oil apply for GM specs?

GM probably would not let them apply anyway...but the point is that if they are the EXACT same oils or not???

And as for why they would, of course MOTORCRAFT would want to apply for GM specs because they sell oil from the retail shelf and they'd love people who own ANY brand of car to buy thier oil and increase their profits

Easy spec to meet (6094M, at least), and then gives them a slightly bigger 'possible market' - one that includes GM owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back