just hit 200,000

Messages
177
Location
RI
miles on my 89 Pathfinder and lo and behold I heard something I never heard before on this motor when the truck was running. For about 5-10 seconds I heard the distinctive chatter of ticking valves. [Eek!] It went away and came back for a second then stopped. The truck was warmed up, so I couldn't blame it on that. It looks like the venerable VG30i is starting to show it's age. It still doesn't leak or consume any oil to speak of. I will add that I'm 800 miles into a A-rx treatment. I had done a high mileage treatment last year, but since the directions have changed I decided to do a treatment by the book. I'm running Castrol 10W-30 high mileage right now with a Wix filter. I'll do the the 1500-2000 mile clean cycle and then change oil and filter as specified for rinse. [ October 07, 2003, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Steve_RI ]
 

GSV

Messages
696
Location
Utah
It can be pretty fun to crank out huge miles on a car/truck. Driving a reliable vehicle long after it's paid for is sweet. Of course, when the thing does tank it isn't worth a thing so hopefully you're saving your pennies. With the truck hardware underneath the Pathfinder it could hold up for a very long time. I saw an ad on Ebay for a Nissan D21 with the same motor with 298,000 miles. Rack em up! [Cheers!] [Patriot]
 

den

Messages
35
Location
texas
quote:
Originally posted by Steve_RI: miles on my 89 Pathfinder and lo and behold I heard something I never heard before on this motor when the truck was running. For about 5-10 seconds I heard the distinctive chatter of ticking valves. [Eek!] It went away and came back for a second then stopped. The truck was warmed up, so I couldn't blame it on that. It looks like the venerable VG30i is starting to show it's age. It still doesn't leak or consume any oil to speak of. I will add that I'm 800 miles into a A-rx treatment. I had done a high mileage treatment last year, but since the directions have changed I decided to do a treatment by the book. I'm running Castrol 10W-30 high mileage right now with a Wix filter. I'll do the the 1500-2000 mile clean cycle and then change oil and filter as specified for rinse.
Ibought a 75 olds cutlass with 28,000 miles on it and drove it 24 years and just got rid of it with 325,000 miles,tranny was going.I bought grannys car a 88 caprice V6 with 60,000 on it.
 

Patman

Staff member
Messages
21,989
Location
Oakville, Ontario
quote:
Originally posted by GSV: It can be pretty fun to crank out huge miles on a car/truck. Driving a reliable vehicle long after it's paid for is sweet. Of course, when the thing does tank it isn't worth a thing so hopefully you're saving your pennies.
I love reading stories of high mileage engines! Heck, I just wish I would hang onto a car long enough to see if my oil habits really do make the engine last long! [Smile] I think I finally will be able to test this out though, because unless I come into a lot of money, I will be keeping my current car long enough to see it hit over 200,000 miles for sure, possibly even go for 250k. Then after that, it's C5 Corvette time, at which point I will be going for 300k with that one!
 
Messages
1,533
Location
Ephraim
quote:
Originally posted by Patman:
quote:
*-*-.

I love reading stories of high mileage engines! Heck, I just wish I would hang onto a car long enough to see if my oil habits really do make the engine last long! [Smile] *-*-*- [/QB]
I'm sure they will... except I'm concerned about all the silver I keep seeing in your reports. My truck HIT 385K and almost to the mile (80-K) for the front o2, and well (60K) for the CAT, went out today. Right to the MILE, just like the original... Talked with the dealer and they say my year has had problems, and they have double cats on the new ones. The cat is an aftermarket, and it did have a lot of cracks repaired on it for several thousand miles combined, maybe that's why it (cat) didn't last 80-100K+ or maybe just a design flaw like the dealer says. Anyway, I'm starting to get a grin again because it's close to 400K, then I'll have to wait awhile for it again.
 

Patman

Staff member
Messages
21,989
Location
Oakville, Ontario
My UOAs on my Firebird don't show high silver at all, my last two reports were under 0.5ppm! My recent VOA on GC 0w30 showed over 3ppm of silver though. [Confused] [ October 08, 2003, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]
 
Top