Just heard stats on the avg motorist on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
on the radio news report they said some recent study showed:

40% have dirty or low engine oil
54% have under inflated tires
29% do not have adequate coolant protection

There has been a lot of chatter and "I wonder what...?" questions on here, so here is something concrete...40%!!!!!!!!!!!

Not at all surprised. My wife would be among them if not for my staying on top of maintenance.

Most people just want to 'get in and go', and never pay a 2nd thought to sticking to the recommended maintainance schedule in the owner manual.

Its actually a good thing that auto makers are going to Oil Life Monitors, LTPWS (Low tire pressure warning system), and other "idiot lights" as standard. Its the only way to grab some peoples' attention, and even then the dash light has to pray to be noticed over the cell phone or sound system...

And still the average vehicle still goes down the road for many many miles.

SO when I think about following the manual for my OCI and using a good conventional oil with filter each time, I KNOW (and have proven many times) that my vehicles WILL last as long as I want them to.

All about getting the best value for your $$ and having your vehicle last.

Bill

The accounts on this site cured me from buying used cars anymore.

I buy new and take care of everything myself.

I don't even trust the tires on a used car....did they drive on one flat...?
21.gif

I'm sure 80-90% of us on BITOG have "dirty" oil according to the radio show criteria... ie, has it been more than 3000 miles since the last change? Probably not many of us with low oil though.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I'm sure 80-90% of us on BITOG have "dirty" oil according to the radio show criteria... ie, has it been more than 3000 miles since the last change?

I was about to comment on the same thing. "Dirty oil" is a very vague term. Typically, oil becomes dark/dirty pretty fast, but that doesn't mean that it's not protecting the engine anymore or that it must be replaced. We all know that.

Hopefully their criteria for "dirty oil" is at least oil that has been in for longer than the manufaturers suggested OCI, not just some blanket 3,000 mile interval.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
The accounts on this site cured me from buying used cars anymore.

I buy new and take care of everything myself.

I don't even trust the tires on a used car....did they drive on one flat...?
21.gif

+1

Lazy [censored] people.

What's crazy, is how vehicle owner's manuals have "Normal" and "severe" maintenance schedules.

OK, that makes sense.....but they will usually site the API grade and ILSAC/GF rating; and you got warranty coverage as long as your oil meets those specs.

Some argue, why pay extra for "better" (who says it's better? advertisements?) oil, when the conventionals can meet those grades/ratings just fine?

My take on it, throw the cheaper stuff (SuperTech, Pennzoil, etc.) in it while under warranty, then sway over the line (Mobil 1 and other leading synthetics) after the warranty is done :)

But yea, I don't know about the coolant protection deal....that's one of the gauges (along with the tach and fuel gauge! lol) that most people watch most
wink.gif
Or so I'd hope....anyways....if they don't have proper coolant they will overheat....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cchase
Hopefully their criteria for "dirty oil" is at least oil that has been in for longer than the manufaturers suggested OCI, not just some blanket 3,000 mile interval.

+1

Otherwise that would be very interesting...

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
29% do not have adequate coolant protection?
Nonsense.
That would mean 29% of cars would be on the side of the road, dead!

You can be low on coolant (or wrong kind of coolant) and not overheat.

We all know people who neglect their cars.
There is nothing surprising in this.
Why anyone would fail to care for a complex mechanical device upon which they rely escapes me, but people do.
As long as it runs when they turn the key, it must be fine.
When it doesn't, it gets towed to a mechanic, or often the stealership. If it costs them money, it is simply because it is either a bad model, or a lemon, or it was built on a Monday or a Friday. Owner negelct is never the problem.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
on the radio news report they said some recent study showed:

There has been a lot of chatter and "I wonder what...?" questions on here, so here is something concrete...40%!!!!!!!!!!!

The devil is probably in the details. Who published and released the findings, the automotive service industry trade council??

How did they perform the survey and collect the data? I would think that a true candid survey would have the pollster getting pepper sprayed. Imagine some dude walking up to you at a convenience gas station and asking to check your oil and tires?

This is probably reported from vendors that service cars and there was probably questionable verification/validation of the data.

That all said, the figures are probably right, but that doesn't mean that they're a "constant right" 24/7/365 for the entire implied rolling fleet. It implies that they're never out of this state.

It's the same as saying that your engine is wearing out all the time because you run 50% longer on OCI's. It ignores the 75% of the time that it's fully protected.

Neighbor was telling me that they did not do their job in driver's Ed.....and teach his son that a RED light on the dashboard is serious and a YELLOW light is caution.....
If they had done so......then he would not have kept on driving when the RED oil can light came on.......and seized up his motor.
True story......so, yes.....I find the statistics easy to believe.

As far a coolant protection....I wonder if they were including those with coolant that the additive package......anti-corrosive.....has worn out.
Or....in southern locations where freezing is not an issue.

I have seen similar reported data from AAA.....don't remember what the numbers were.....but as others have mentioned....many folks don't think about doing anything other than dumping gasoline in the tank untill something goes wrong.
You do see a lot of cars along the road.

The amount of bald tires I see in the parking lots is appalling. I have no doubt that if people skimp on one of the most important safety items (which you don't even have to open the hood to see) on a car they'd skimp on oil/fluid changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastSUV

Sounds about right. I had 3 cars in the shop today. 2 had oil below the add mark. All 3 had atleast 1 low tire and all 3 came it with water in the cooling system only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back