So I just had to help my grandfather and replace the sump pump. The one that was here was an old Shur-dri, that's been in there for about 17 years. It has been through 3 floats in that time, and the bearings recently have been... Well, less than healthy sounding. It runs about every 10 minutes on a normal day, but when it's raining heavily (like that big storm we had the other day) it will run about 15 seconds after shutting off from the previous one. The old one had started working intermittently since about february, but it had gotten worse in recent weeks. The battery backup needs a new control panel, and because of that, it makes a heck of a racket when it tries to turn on. I was sitting on my computer minding my own business about a week ago, when suddenly I hear said awful racket. It was raining pretty good too. I went over, and it had not turned on, and was all the way to the top of the sump pit. I reached down and shook the float around for a few minutes, and it finally came on- but then wouldn't shut off again. I had to babysit it for the better part of 45 minutes until it seemed to work by itself. I did some research, and ended up going with a Wayne CDU800 subersible pump. It's a 1/2 Horse, and for the 4-5' rise we have, according to Wayne it should be able to pump a good 3900GPH or so. More than enough. I had to go to Lowes and buy new fittings to make the backup fit, and get it from the pump and the check valve, to the hard line. It was a lot of fun, something I haven't had to do before. 2-3 days after I put the new pump in, we had a massive storm, the one mentioned above. This thing worked flawlessly. I'm extremely happy with the decision. And I don't have to go to bed and worry about if my computer will be destroyed by water before the morn'. Here it is, working hard during that storm.