Just got my GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, since folks here are so fond of it, I bought some GC for my 1995 BMW M3. I am expecting my car to run perfectly, and for little elves to jump out and change the tires if I get a flat.

Seriously, I am giving it a try, I am a little weary as my car specs 20w-50 for the summer, however, by the time I finish my 2nd ARX treatment w/ dino, we will probably be back into cooler weather & I will have to wait for next summer to test it in the heat.

I'm afraid the Elves don't do Reifen. They do Kuckuck Uhren, bier und das beste Öl...keine Reifen.

quote:

Originally posted by audi_guy:
ssj4,

I seem to recall some BMW'er on this board warning against using anything other than 10w60 in the M series BMW cars. I don't recall if that was for specific years. I'd do some searches to see what they were talking about.

a_g

As you mentioned, that oil recommendation is for certain year M3's. I believe a 1995 M3 doesn't require the 10W-60...it is the newer generation M3's that had that oil requirement.

my M3 specs typically 10w40 for winter 20w50 for spring and summer. It is a 1995 E36 model, the 10w60 was for certain E46's.

The dealer will put the 5w30 BMW synthetic in my car, (they don't even carry a 40w), but it was eating oil (although not out of spec, I had not noticed this before - I was using 20w50 dino year round), the 20w50 would give me some lifter tap when cold, which went away when using BG MOA with the 20w50.

on bimmerfest, people are syaing go with the mobil 1 0w40, and are saying the 20w50 was just spec'd because of the resistance to shearing, in that synthetics were not widely used in 1994. but since the GC has had such glowing reviews and is close to a 40w and is being added after the ARX treatments, I figured I would give it a go.

The castrol site tells me to go with the 10w30, but isnt the GC better than that? Plus the GC has the BMW LL-01 rating.

Mobil 1 site recommends 0w40 b(which I understand shears down to 30w anyway)
Amsoil recommends 5w40 (I haven't seen to many reviews on this)

[ June 14, 2006, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: ssj4 ]

Your S50 motor (bored/stroked M50 from the 325i) does not need 10w60. It's not even a Motorsport engine. A 40 weight synthetic is perfect for it may that be a 0w40 or 5w40. Castrol 0w30 is near 40 weight so it should be just fine but may drink a little more compared to a 5w40 under hard driving. LL-01 rating is for `01 and newer BMW's. Your Vanos unit will be rather loud with 20w50 under a cold start up. That's partially why a 0w/5w is preferred.

BMW's 5w30 is a euro castrol synthetic blend near 40 weight so I would imagine you will get similar results in terms of oil drinking with the 0w30. Up to a quart per 1,000 miles is safe, granted under some rather spirited driving.

I thought you BMW guys might know the real story. But on the off chance ssj4 didn't I thought I'd pipe up just in case his engine was one that needed the 10w60.

ssj4, welcome to the GC world.

cheers.gif

a_g

ssj4,

I seem to recall some BMW'er on this board warning against using anything other than 10w60 in the M series BMW cars. I don't recall if that was for specific years. I'd do some searches to see what they were talking about.

a_g

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back