Just got a 99 Ford 6.8L V10 89k miles w/ Dino 10w40 Which oil?

My '99 V10 lived most of its life on dino 5w-30, and based on the amount of heavy varnish I could see in the valve cover - I suspect it did not have the oil changed as often as it should have. I purchased it with 80,000 miles, and have run synthetic oil in it ever since. It seems to do fine on 5w-30, but I did notice reduced oil consumption the few summers I ran 5W-40 HDEO.

Mine had the same exhaust manifold issues mentioned above. I had both sides replaced with Dorman manifolds, which have held up well. The only other problem I have had with the engine was the harmonic balancer. The rubber dried out, and the outer ring got loose enough to move forward and hit the fan. Thankfully it just barely touched the fan and I got it shutdown without disaster.

I'd go with Ford's recommendations for oil and oil filter.

I think Ford has a TSB for the 1999 F450 V10 6.8 changing the oil viscosity and how to fill it according to the dipstick.

I copied below from the Amsoil website. I cannot verify it's accuracy beyond my simple copy and paste:

VISCOSITIES:
All TEMPS....5W-20 This specification has been updated from 5W-30 to 5W-20 per a Technical Service Bulletin from the manufacturer 5W-20 is the preferred viscosity.

CAPACITIES: With filter 6 quarts EARLY MODELS: Oil level should be no higher than 1/2 inch (12 mm) below maximum on the dipstick. LATE MODELS: Oil level should be no higher than 1/8 inch (3 mm) above FULL line.
Ford changed back to 5 w 30 again.. the 5 w 20 was a temporary ford change.

Back