Just fitted Michelin Pilot Preceda's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just put a set on my Holden Calais (v6). Previous tyres were Michelin MXV3a but these have been discontinued and the direct replacement is the MXV8. Their is also a new XM1. Decided I would try the Sportier tyre as I tend to stop, go and corner harder than the standard driver for this luxury style car.

First impressions are they are a little harder, very slight wind type noise, seeem to be more direct on the steering. Only basically driven home and back to work so will give further impressions if of interest.

BTW. The standard fitment was 205x65x15. Went to 215x60x15. Rims are 6" The lower profile is probably part of the reason for the harder ride.

Wow, 215 width on a 6" rim? The tires must be sticking out quite a bit resulting in significant sidewall flex.

Never heard of the Preceda line - wonder if it's something only sold in Australia and Asian markets. Let us know how they do after you break them in.

No, they dont stick out really anymore than the standard 205 width. 6'width is ok for these tyres, althought 6.5 is the recommended. Will fit 6-7.5.

The Preceda's I believe did very well in the Wheels magazine sports tyre test late last year. They sit below the Pilot Sport, but above the MXV8.

Very wet today and I could stop quite hard without any sign of breaking with the ABS. Take off undre power much the same.

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
Just put a set on my Holden Calais (v6). Previous tyres were Michelin MXV3a but these have been discontinued and the direct replacement is the MXV8. Their is also a new XM1. Decided I would try the Sportier tyre as I tend to stop, go and corner harder than the standard driver for this luxury style car.

First impressions are they are a little harder, very slight wind type noise, seeem to be more direct on the steering. Only basically driven home and back to work so will give further impressions if of interest.

BTW. The standard fitment was 205x65x15. Went to 215x60x15. Rims are 6" The lower profile is probably part of the reason for the harder ride.

I'm using them right now and they meet my expectations in the wet and dry. I'm using 195/55 R15s. The only downside to them is that they are extremely noisy mate! However, it's of little concern to me as I like the wet/dry performance. The tyre compound is slightly softer than most street tyres which means faster wear but they would last more than 60,000km. Best to check the little Michelin logo that serves as a wear indicator. I think Pilot Precedas are available only in Asia Pacific region. My next set if tyres may be the Continental brand.

quote:

Originally posted by Bryan_1NZ-FE_Mobil 1:
The only downside to them is that they are extremely noisy mate!

So far I would say they are only just slightly noiser than the MXV3a's. Which I understand is fairly good as Sports tyres tend to be noisy.

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
No, they dont stick out really anymore than the standard 205 width.

Well, technically..., they stick out 5mm more.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back