Just did my first oil change by myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
Use this wrench hand tight:

14MM Combo

Am I required to use the Snap-On wrench, or is it okay for me to use my Crafstman?
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:
Just think:

If the filter is that hard to change, imagine how many times the Iffy Lube morons never bothered to change it.

Good job on deciding to change it yourself! It's definitely worth it, and before too long you'll wonder why you ever let the Iffy Lube monkeys touch any of your cars in the first place.

Actually, I ALWAYS hovered over them because I have an intrinsic distrust of those guys!

quote:

Get dealer crush washers.. they are cheap and will work for your vehicle. You did good on oil and filter selection, you will get better at the filter with repetition.

Crush washers are good.
cool.gif

quote:

quote:

Am I required to use the Snap-On wrench, or is it okay for me to use my Crafstman?

I picked out a Snap-on because I figured you were a classy guy.
wink.gif

Well, you know...thanks, you're sweet! Actually, I am classy, but not wealthy! hehehehe

quote:

LouDawg,

Are you going to answer my above question or not?
mad.gif

Sorry...been away from my computer all day! It was a 14mm wrench, so maybe the 12mm refers to the major o.d of the threaded area?
tongue.gif

quote:

Yes! If it was a 14mm wrench, then that means the threaded portion is 12mm.
smile.gif
tongue.gif

I guess that would explain why the 14mm washer was so loose on the "14 mm" drain plug, eh? hehehehe

yeah that would explain it. you use a 12mm drain plug. when ever you are reading threads the first number is the O.D. of the threads, the second number is the pitch. you can put nearly any size head on a 12mm plug.

ex: M12 x 1.5 = 12mm O.D. with a 1.5mm thread pitch.

another way you can keep the oil in the engine while changing the washer is, if you have a shop vac:

1. get shop vac and put rag around the end (no attachments) hold on to the rag tight or it will get sucked in.
2. take oil cap off and put the vacuum over the oil fill hole.
3. remove drain plug and replace washer and reinstall the plug. you will hear a gurgling noise when the plug comes out.
4. remove vacuum hose and shut off.
5. all done and no mess.

ive used this method a number of times when i worked at jiffy lube (dont judge me based on that, get to know me first
smile.gif
) and we never lost a drop of oil, unless someone removeded the vacuum early.

congrats on changing the oil for the first time. as you now see, its not too hard (except for those darn 2.4 frontier filters) and you will save a lot of money over time. i use synthetic oil and it costs me $27 w/filter. the same thing at a quick lube place costs >$55. instant $28 savings each time. i currently average ~25000 miles per year, so thats $140 saved for the year plus you get the piece of mind knowing exactly what you did, instead of trusting what someone else says they did on your expensive vehicle.

quote:

Originally posted by LouDawg:

quote:

Here's another drain plug for your truck:

Drain Plug - Dorman

Thanks for the info, but mine is an M14, not an M12...I'll check for the othere size...

Also remember to only put in the amount of oil stated in your manual, do NOT go by the dipstick.

If I go to the full level on my 4.3L dipstick on my Blazer, I will overfill it by almost a quart and will cause lifter clattering issues seeing the crank slaps the oil and introduces air into the oil system which migrates up into the lifters.

Trust me on this, ONLY the amount specified in the manual.

out of curiosity what does the manual say? every 4.3 i have ever done took between 4.5 and 4.75 qts of oil.

quote:

Originally posted by racer12306:
out of curiosity what does the manual say? every 4.3 i have ever done took between 4.5 and 4.75 qts of oil.

My 1995 says 4.25L per oil change with filter.

When full up to the top part of the cross-hatched area of the safe zone it takes 5.25L and this is where the valvetrain noise rears its ugly head.

Just a lot of people that blindly fill to the top of the safe area on their dipstick not even looking at their owner's manual for the proper amount is.

You would be surprised, in most cases it is off quite a bit. But sometimes it is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back