Just did an engine swap on my Craftsman rider

I bought an old mower for parts to keep my old mower alive, but I decided to put it to use instead. Small Engine Warehouse had a 20hp Briggs twin on sale for $499 so that seemed like an economical option. I did the swap this morning and it’s up and running now. It threw me for a bit of a loop because the old engine had separate choke and throttle cables and the new one has them combined. It took me a second to figure that one out.

The bad news is I pulled my back lifting the new engine into place. The way it feels right now I won’t be doing much for the next few days.

I hope you heal up soon. It sounds like you made a good decision to keep your old Craftsman going. New ones are going over $2k now and aren't built as well. (y)

That is a smoking deal on a new V-twin. What was shipping cost on that unit? I'll probably be in the market for one in a few months, hope they have similar deals then.

Was the original engine a similar Briggs? Curious if you had to do any exhaust modification or how simple the swap was.

That is a smoking deal on a new V-twin. What was shipping cost on that unit? I'll probably be in the market for one in a few months, hope they have similar deals then.

Was the original engine a similar Briggs? Curious if you had to do any exhaust modification or how simple the swap was.

Shipping charge for me was a tank of gas. They’re in Muncie, IN so I just drove and picked one up. Their website quoted $68 for standard shipping.

The original engine was a 20 HP Briggs from about 2005 or so. I just unbolted the old exhaust pipes and dropped it right in. On these particular mowers the two exhaust pipes actually just friction fit into the muffler. The old one used hex head cap screws and the new one had studs so I had to hunt down a couple of nuts but that was no big deal. I bought two new exhaust gaskets with the engine but the old ones came off intact so I could probably have reused them.

It took me four hours to complete the swap and that includes doing some online research about the single cable choke and moving pretty slow after I pulled my back halfway through. One caution though: this particular model has a 5/3 amp alternator so it‘s best suited for a mower with manual blade engagement. If yours has an electronic blade clutch it might not have enough output to run it. That wouldn’t be an issue if you could swap the stator from your old unit.

Shipping charge for me was a tank of gas. They’re in Muncie, IN so I just drove and picked one up. Their website quoted $68 for standard shipping.

The original engine was a 20 HP Briggs from about 2005 or so. I just unbolted the old exhaust pipes and dropped it right in. On these particular mowers the two exhaust pipes actually just friction fit into the muffler. The old one used hex head cap screws and the new one had studs so I had to hunt down a couple of nuts but that was no big deal. I bought two new exhaust gaskets with the engine but the old ones came off intact so I could probably have reused them.

It took me four hours to complete the swap and that includes doing some online research about the single cable choke and moving pretty slow after I pulled my back halfway through. One caution though: this particular model has a 5/3 amp alternator so it‘s best suited for a mower with manual blade engagement. If yours has an electronic blade clutch it might not have enough output to run it. That wouldn’t be an issue if you could swap the stator from your old unit.
My early 2000's New Holland LS45 came with a Kohler Courage 23 horse that probably isn't worth repairing or rebuilding.

These inexpensive B&S V-twins look like a good option but I'm on the fence considering the trouble I might encounter with exhaust fit-up.

For what I can tell, a drop-in Kohler V-twin isn't available, at least I haven't been able to find any...

My early 2000's New Holland LS45 came with a Kohler Courage 23 horse that probably isn't worth repairing or rebuilding.

These inexpensive B&S V-twins look like a good option but I'm on the fence considering the trouble I might encounter with exhaust fit-up.

For what I can tell, a drop-in Kohler V-twin isn't available, at least I haven't been able to find any...
What’s the muffler setup look like? You might just be able to buy a B&S muffler and make it fit. It looks like the muffler they sell to go with this engine is a single piece including both exhaust manifolds.

Attachments

• 32ED69C5-C34D-4C2C-8B9B-E55CDBE09DB3.jpeg
    32ED69C5-C34D-4C2C-8B9B-E55CDBE09DB3.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 9
Back